I know some people like to disagree, but breakfast really is the most important meal of the day. Our bodies have gone for an extended period of time without eating (I usually have a 12 hour fast). What’s most important, is to make sure that breakfast is not full of sugar!! My family loves french toast as much as anyone, and overnight french toasts are really fun to make and eat. Especially when you’re entertaining or bringing a dish to share with a large group. This recipe is a simple to put together, yummolicious, and happens to be low in sugar. The only sweetener used for the entire meal, was the blueberries and a touch of honey. It was perfect!
So here are the basics: get a large loaf of your favorite bread (about 1.5 lbs) and cut into 1 inch chunks. I bought something yummy from my local bakery. I whisked together coconut milk, cinnamon, and some eggs. Just a quick note about the coconut milk: I did not use the canned full fat coconut milk, but the milk carton milk you find in the refrigerated section of the grocery store. The canned stuff is too thick for this recipe. I gently tossed the bread cubes with the coconut milk mixture and poured into a greased 9×13 inch pan. I then sprinkled some shredded coconut on the top and placed in the fridge to sit overnight. The next morning, I added a cup of blueberries and placed in the oven:
The bread soaked up the milk/egg mixture nicely and was ready for the oven. While it was baking: I made a quick and easy blueberry syrup/sauce on the stove top. Only blueberries, water, honey, and lemon required:
The french toast baked nicely and was a perfect simple breakfast for our weekend guests! What I loved about it was the prep work was so minimal in the morning. Often times when I have guests visiting, I am working all morning in the kitchen for breakfast. Not with this recipe! Spoon some of that delicious sauce on top of your french toast:
- 1 lb loaf of bread (artisan, french, or any that you choose)
- 2.5 cups of coconut milk
- 6 eggs
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- For the Sauce:
- 2 cups of blueberries (these can be fresh or frozen)
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Grease a 9×13 pan, set aside.
- Cut the bread into 1 inch chunks, place inside the 9×13 pan.
- In a separate bowl, combine milk, eggs, salt, and cinnamon.
- Add the egg mixture to the bread, gently stir so that the bread is evenly coated.
- Sprinkle with coconut and place in the refrigerator overnight.
- The next morning, preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix in 1 cup of blueberries to the french toast, place in oven.
- Bake for approximately 35-40 minutes or until the top is nice and golden.
- While the French Toast is baking, make the blueberry sauce.
- Add all ingredients to a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, and let simmer for approximately 10 minutes until the sauce has thickened.
- Cut the french toast into squares and drizzle with blueberry sauce.