Spiced up sweet potatoes and black beans combined with quinoa give this burger a perfect texture and taste that even a meat lover will love!
Why yes, I am posting yet another veggie burger recipe. They are my favorite vegetarian dish! Veggie burgers are quite popular amongst vegetarians and meat eaters alike, but often I find that most people have only tasted the frozen patties you buy at the store. So let me just tell you people. You haven’t lived until you’ve made your own version.
They taste so much better! And guess what?!?!
You can stick them in the freezer too!!
This particular recipe makes about 8 patties. Generally, this is my standard dinner when the husband is gone. We turn into vegetarians when he’s out of town. Not because he doesn’t like meatless meals, but because he hates beans. My kids actually still don’t realize this. I never wanted them to know in case they ever thought it was “cool” to dislike something that daddy doesn’t eat. So far, so good. They love beans and so do I!
Super easy to make this, just mix up all the ingredients and form them into patties. In this picture below, I used a food processor, but as you’ll see in my notes below, it’s not necessary:
Once formed into patties I sear them on the stove, than I pop them in the oven to be sure they are crispy.
This is probably my favorite version of a veggie burger, because it has a Mexican flair. I want to share with you a few shortcuts for this dinner. 1. I cook my sweet potato in the microwave for about 4 minutes, and it’s perfectly softened (make sure you poke holes in it). 2. You don’t need a food processor or anything fancy, you can mash it with a fork or pastry knife. 3. I always make this recipe after I have leftover quinoa in the fridge from a previous meal, so I don’t have to cook extra quinoa on the stove.
- 2 14oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 sweet potato (cooked and tender, see notes below)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup white onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup frozen corn
- 1 cup oats
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- ½ cup uncooked quinoa
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Heat up a large skillet, to medium high heat.
- Once pan is hot, grease with olive oil and add onion, garlic, and corn until cooked (5-8 mins). Set aside, but keep pan hot.
- Meanwhile, add cooked and peeled sweet potato and black beans to a large bowl. Mash beans and sweet potato together using a fork or pastry knife. Some of the beans should be mashed up, leave some beans whole.
- In a separate bowl, mix together oats and spices. Toss mixture in with black bean mixture. Mix well. Slowly fold in cooked quinoa, onion, garlic, and corn.
- For patties that are approximately 3-4 inches in diameter and ½ inch thick. Coat patties with uncooked quinoa for added texture.
- Add patties to skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes per side until crispy. Set aside to a cookie sheet.
- Bake burgers for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and serve with your favorite toppings.
Leftover burgers freeze well and can be easily defrosted upon single use.