This simple main course chicken salad has the most amazing cashew butter dressing and is packed with vegetables! So much flavor, texture, and a meal that can be made in less than 20 minutes. Kid friendly, Paleo, and Gluten-Free!
I would like to personally thank the creator of the spiralizor craze, and ask the peeps who have made spiralized zucchini noodles a thing. Because I pretty much spiralize everything in my produce drawer. Carrots, cucumbers, cabbage, zucchini, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, and many more. I’m kind of obsessed! And with such a perfect texture that is similar to pasta, I don’t ever really think about wanting pasta. I’m perfectly content with my veggie noodles. Soooooooo………
In my house, we do lots of noodle bowls. I love to pack them with protein, more veggies, and the most delicious dressings EVER!!! That’s where this noodle salad was born.
The dressing on this dish is made up of everything delicious: cashew butter, apple cider vinegar, ginger, coconut aminos (or soy sauce), garlic, and honey. Blended up this dressing is creamy and super delicious.
So here is the thing with this dish. My kids are obsessed with nut butter type dressings. And they love it over pasta. I don’t eat pasta, and I’m trying to get my kids to be on board. I find that allowing them to have some pasta mixed with some zucchini noodles, is a nice compromise. I’ll just continue to change up the ratio until they don’t realize they are eating an entire bowl of zucchini! Also, the dressing allows the to gobble up the other veggies in this dish without complaints. You can always swap out the veggies to add in the ones you love!!
Add sesame seeds for added texture and crunch. And finally, top with freshly chopped cilantro.
Cashew Butter Chicken Zucchini Noodle Salad
- For the Salad:
- 1 lb chicken breast
- 2-3 large zucchini
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 2 carrots chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 1/3 cup chopped green onion
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped cilantro for garnish
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds for garnish
- For the dressing:
- ½ cup cashew butter
- ¼ cup coconut aminos or GF soy sauce
- 2 tbsp honey
- ⅓ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp avocado or olive oil
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh ginger
- 1 large clove minced garlic
- 2 tbsp water*
- Begin by cooking your chicken breast. Pound them so they are thinner and easier to cook. Heat up a large skillet to medium - medium high heat. Add in a tbsp oil. Salt and Pepper your chicken breasts and add them to the skillet. Cook for 4-5 minutes per side (depending on thickness of chicken), until no longer pink. Set aside,
- Spiralize your zucchini noodles and set inside a large bowl.
- Now make the dressing: in a blender or food processor combine cashew butter, coconut aminos, honey, vinegar, sesame oil, garlic, and ginger. While motor is running, add avocado oil. If dressing is too thick, add in addition 1-2 tbsp water. and blend.
- Now assemble the salad: Toss all the vegetables inside bowl with zucchini noodles. Top with chicken and add dressing. Continue to toss until everything is well coated.
- Serve with garnished cilantro and sesame seeds.