Perfectly spiced overnight pumpkin french toast with an apple streusel topping make this a great fall or holiday breakfast and brunch recipe!
So what is a mom and food blogger to do when the entire weekend is consumed by rain and cancellations of every event? Well bake some french toast of course! Over the weekend we were affected by Hurricane Joaquin in the sense that it poured non-stop. Really not too much different than our 4 years in Germany! Haha, seriously though. It was quite a bit for our area, and everything we were involved with was cancelled. It was quite a lazy weekend, but also ended up being productive and maybe even a blessing to get so many things done. My productivity included A LOT of cooking. I had my favorite fall pumpkin candle burning, decorated the house with some fall decor, and was dreaming up a delicious pumpkin inspired breakfast.
It was a perfect Sunday morning treat.
The house smelled Ahhhhh-mazing, and when my peeps finally decided to roll out of bed, a warm pumpkin french toast was ready for them to devour. It’s a rough life being a part of my family!
So this recipe includes a loaf of fresh bakery style bread. I happened to use Sourdough, and I LOVED the way it turned out. But, any type of french bread will work. Nothing too healthy about this recipe either. Just good ole fashioned yumminess and wholesome ingredients (although we can give a few nutrition points to the pumpkin, apples, and walnuts). I love the way french toast is easy to throw together the night before, and is a perfect breakfast when company comes into town, or when you are entertaining.
To start, I cut up my bread into cubes/chunks, or tear it into pieces. I like it better than slicing the bread. I mixed together my eggs, milk, pumpkin, maple syrup, and spices. Add the bread to a 9×13 dish, and cover with your egg mixture:
In the morning, you will add the ingredients for the Apple Streusel topping, and bake for 40 minutes:
That’s it! Serve with warm maple syrup (or plain), and you have a wonderful start to your day. This makes a fantastic idea for a Halloween breakfast, especially since Halloween is on a Saturday this year. Or maybe even Thanksgiving. Enjoy!!
- 7 cups cubed french bread or sourdough
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- ¼ cup maple syrup (plus more for topping)
- 1 tbsp + 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- ⅔ cup finely diced peeled and cored apples
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp butter (melted)
- The night before, grease a 9x13 inch pan. Toss in cubed bread.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, syrup, and 1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice. Pour over top of bread. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Make the apple streusel topping: mix together brown sugar, 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, apples, walnuts, and butter. Mix until moistened.
- Drop apple streusel mix by the spoonful on top of the french toast. Spread around as evenly as possible.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the top is crusty and golden.
- Serve immediately with warm maple syrup.