This stack of strawberry banana protein pancakes is a low carb, gluten-free, and Paleo version that makes a healthy breakfast option! Bananas and strawberries add plenty of flavor to these fluffy pancakes along with a drizzle of maple syrup.
I’ve been on a mission for a few months now to find the perfect pancake recipe. I’ll just start with a little confession. I don’t like pancakes. I am pretty much an eggs-only for breakfast kind of gal. Unfortunately, I’ve been the only one in my house enjoying eggs. My husband has needed a break from eggs, and my kids hardly ever eat eggs. What’s an egg lover to do? Not only that, but I am pretty much adamant that breakfast should not be loaded with sugar, and have a healthy balance of protein and fat. Pancakes don’t necessarily qualify under these “rules”. Until now. I’ve loaded these pancakes with flavor using bananas and strawberries, some protein using my favorite protein powder, and my favorite new product from Nutiva: Buttery Coconut Oil!
The kids and husband love pancakes. And the 8 year old is particularly very excited about making pancakes, so we’ve been testing out a few recipes together. This one is our favorite!!
I toyed with the idea of making a strawberry syrup, but wanted to keep these super simple. Just adding the fresh strawberries on top is all you need. Add a dash of maple syrup for some more flavor, but once again not needed. I have a very low tolerance for sugar (especially in the mornings), so just the strawberries was plenty for me! And I will now have to admit, these are definitely pancakes that I can eat and love.
Just a few other notes about this recipe. They will not have a runny consistency like most pancakes batters. Instead, the batter will be thick and you will have to spoon it on the hot pan. Press down to create a disc or circular shape. Also, use a high quality protein powder that is vanilla flavored. Not all protein powders are created equal. Some have plenty of mystery ingredients or soy protein isolate with a taste that does not compliment these pancakes! It’s best to use one that is plant based, delicious, and contains only the best ingredients, or omit it all together (add in almond flour or more coconut flour in its place).
- ¼ cup Nutiva Butter flavor coconut oil + 2 tbsp
- 3 large eggs
- ⅓ cup dairy free milk (almond, flax, cashew, etc).
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- 3 tbsp vanilla protein powder (my favorite)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 cup chopped fresh strawberries
- 3 tbsp maple syrup (optional)
- Heat a large skillet to medium - medium high heat. Add 1 tbsp coconut oil to the pan to coat.
- Melt ¼ cup coconut oil, and mix together in a large bowl with eggs, milk, vanilla, and mashed banana. Combine all ingredients until smooth.
- In a smaller bowl, mix together dry ingredients: flour, protein powder, baking powder, and sea salt. Add dry ingredients to wet and continue to mix until well combined. Batter will be thick.
- Spoon batter onto pan to and shape into 3-4 inch diameter discs or circles. Cook for approximately 2 minutes per side, or until golden brown and cooked through. You may need to continue adding more coconut oil to pan, after each batch of pancakes.
- Top with fresh strawberries and a drizzle of maple syrup (optional).