This refreshing fruit salad is dressed up with a basil lime dressing to provide the perfect balance between tangy and sweet. I’ve combined summer’s most delicious fruits to make it a perfect addition to any BBQ or picnic!
The fruits that I’ve gathered for this dish are: strawberries, mango, kiwi, and peaches. Obviously, you can choose some different fruit here, but I love this combination especially with the basil lime syrup because these are some of the sweetest fruits of the season. The basil and lime can be tamed down a bit if you’re using a different fruit such as melon or raspberries.
To start, you’ll prepare the fruit to be chopped. Rinse well, and peel both the kiwi and the mango. I leave the skin on the peaches. You’ll dice into small pieces like in the picture below:
The simple syrup is made by finely chopping basil, adding lime juice, the freshly grated lime zest, and some honey. Whisk together. Assemble a trifle bowl, or glass bowl by layering the fruit. Initially, I had the fruit in 4 distinct layers, but decided it looked best by tossing it all together:
Toss in the simple syrup to coat the fruit. Serve immediately, or chill for up to 8 hours. I personally like my fruit fresh, but the lime and honey syrup help preserve this salad for a few days. We use this as a side dish to any grilled meat, or as a dessert. Definitely a hit with the kids!
- 6 medium sized peaches
- 6 kiwi
- 2 large mangos
- 1.5 lbs strawberries
- For the syrup:
- ¼ cup finely chopped basil
- 1 tbsp honey
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp freshly grated lime zest (zest of 1 lime)
- To begin, prepare your fruit. Peel the skin of both the kiwi and mango. A potato peeler works well for this. Chop the fruit into small pieces, around ½ inch in diameter.
- Layer your fruit in the bowl, and then toss to combine altogether.
- Prepare the syrup: Chop the basil into small fine pieces, squeeze the juice of 1 lime, and grate the lime peel using a cheese grater. Add honey, and whisk together to combine.
- Pour syrup over fruit, and stir to coat.