Delicious Tabbouleh Salad that is grain free using cauliflower rice. All the same lemon and fresh herb flavor with an added serving of vegetables!!
I just made this bowl, ate half of it, and decided I better take pictures and get it on the blog ASAP. You all need this as a super easy lunch or side dish in your lives. This tabbouleh is perfectly portable, and would make a great “on-the-go” lunch! I noticed a cauliflower rice at my local Whole Foods a few weeks ago in the salad bar section. Of course I love Whole Foods, and I loved their tabbouleh. But, I also knew I could make this for a fraction of the price. And I think it tastes better!
Why cauliflower rice? I love rice, I promise. I’m not a hater. I also love bulgur too, which is the main ingredient in tabbouleh. But sometimes, I can’t bring myself to only eat the 1/2 cup portion I should, and I just eat too much. With cauliflower rice, who cares if I eat 1-2 cups?? You know why else I love it? I’ve been eating it all the time lately. I happened to discover that Trader Joe’s now carries Organic Cauliflower Rice in the frozen section. It’s only $1.99. I mean, this whole time I’ve been making my own using this recipe. And while I found it was pretty easy, the TJ’s throw-in-the-microwave bag is even easier. And cheaper. So all I had to do to enjoy this was lunch, was to heat up the rice for 3 minutes in the microwave, and chop up my veggies. I chopped the veggies and herbs very finely:
I whisked together some olive oil, lemon juice, and red wine vinegar. I then sprinkled with sea salt and lemon pepper. Lunch was done!! Next time I’ll double the recipe. I like my lunches to last me several days, and I have a feeling this won’t last more than 2 days.
- 12 oz cauliflower rice (approximately 2 cups)*
- 1 cup chopped cucumber
- ¾ cup chopped cherry tomatoes
- ⅓ cup chopped red onion*
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh mint
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh parsley
- Juice of 1 large lemon (about ¼ cup)
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Lemon pepper to taste (optional)
- Begin by preparing your cauliflower rice. I used 1 package Trader Joe's frozen Organic Cauliflower rice and heated in the microwave for 3 minutes. You can use this recipe to make your own.
- Place rice in a large bowl. Add all vegetables and fresh herbs, and mix well.
- Whisk together lemon juice, vinegar, and oil. Pour dressing over vegetable mixture and stir to coat.
- Add salt and lemon pepper (if using). Serve immediately or refrigerate to let flavors meld.