Delicious Tabbouleh Salad that is grain free using cauliflower rice. All the same lemon and fresh herb flavor with an added serving of vegetables!!
Sooooo…….I just made this bowl, ate half of it, and decided I better take pictures and get it on the blog ASAP. You all need this as a super easy lunch or side dish in your lives. This tabbouleh is perfectly portable, and would make a great “on-the-go” lunch! I noticed a cauliflower rice at my local Whole Foods a few weeks ago in the salad bar section. Of course I love Whole Foods, and I loved their tabbouleh. But, I also knew I could make this for a fraction of the price. And I think it tastes better!
Why cauliflower rice? I love rice, I promise. I’m not a hater. I also love bulgur too, which is the main ingredient in tabbouleh. But sometimes, I can’t bring myself to only eat the 1/2 cup portion I should, and I just eat too much. With cauliflower rice, who cares if I eat 1-2 cups?? You know why else I love it? I’ve been eating it all the time lately. I happened to discover that Trader Joe’s now carries Organic Cauliflower Rice in the frozen section. It’s only $1.99. I mean, this whole time I’ve been buying cauliflower and ricing it. And while I found it was pretty easy, the TJ’s throw-in-the-microwave bag is even easier. And cheaper. So all I had to do to enjoy this was lunch, was to heat up the rice for 3 minutes in the microwave, and chop up my veggies. I chopped the veggies and herbs very finely:
I whisked together some olive oil, lemon juice, and red wine vinegar. I then sprinkled with sea salt and lemon pepper. Lunch was done!! Next time I’ll double the recipe. I like my lunches to last me several days, and I have a feeling this won’t last more than 2 days.
Cauliflower Rice Tabbouleh
- 1 large head of cauliflower or 12 oz cauliflower rice approximately 2 cups*
- 1 cup chopped cucumber
- 3/4 cup chopped cherry tomatoes
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion*
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Juice of 1 large lemon about 1/4 cup
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Lemon pepper to taste optional
- Begin by preparing your cauliflower rice. Use 1 large head of cauliflower and chop into florets. Pulse for about 10-15 seconds in a food processor. You can also use 1 package Trader Joe's frozen Organic Cauliflower rice and heated in the microwave for 3 minutes.
- Place rice in a large bowl. Add all vegetables and fresh herbs, and mix well.
- Whisk together lemon juice, vinegar, oil, salt and pepper. Pour dressing over vegetable mixture and stir to coat.
- Add more salt and lemon pepper to taste. Serve immediately or refrigerate to let flavors meld.
Recipe NotesI used red onion, although traditional tabbouleh contains scallions. You can use scallions in place of the red onion, I just prefer the stronger taste of red onion.