So my family ate tacos every day last week. A little out of the norm, but I’ll assure you, no complaints were happening at dinner time!! I’ve been testing several new taco recipes for the blog (you’ll be benefiting from this too), and I happen to make this creamy jalapeño chicken mixture with crumbled bacon.
O. M. G.
Mr. Wholesomelicious is obsessed and so am I. I’ve sort of been experimenting with various “jalapeño popper” type dishes, (check out my jalapeño popper stuffed mushrooms), but this recipe was just over the top. Creamy, a little spicy, and all topped bacon. It’s just the best.
I decided in an effort to make it slightly different than typical taco night, I’d serve it over a bed of rice or greens. Hence the “burrito bowl” name. Everyone picked their favorite toppings and was perfectly happy. Mr. Wholesomelicious claimed he couldn’t even inhale or take a moment to breathe it was so good. Just like visiting your local Chipotle guys, except this is way better. And you don’t have to leave the house. And does Chipotle add bacon to their burrito bowls? Ummm……no.
So a few other things about this recipe. It’s a bit spicy. If your tolerance for spice is low (mine is not), use only 1 jalapeño. And it’s definitely a must to take out the seeds no matter your tolerance for spice. The cream cheese can easily be omitted if you want to go the dairy-free route, but it definitely helps to cut a bit of the spice. And for the love of bacon, let’s just keep that in there, okay? Finally, this also would make a great burrito. Feel free to wrap in a big tortilla!
Chicken Jalapeño Popper Burrito Bowls
- For the chicken tacos:
- 4 thick slices bacon
- 1.5 lbs Boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 jalapeño peppers* de-seeded and chopped
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp chipotle spice powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 4 oz cream cheese
- For the bowls: optional
- 2 cups prepared rice I use this spanish rice recipe
- 2 cups mixed salad greens
- 1 cup black beans
- chopped avocado
- fresh cilantro
- Begin by heating a large skillet to medium high heat. Cook your bacon to preferred crispiness (mine takes about 5 mins per side). Set aside and drain fat, reserve 2 tbsp bacon grease. Once cooled, chop bacon into small crumbles.
- Add chicken and jalapeño peppers to the pan, and cook on all sides until no longer pink (about 7-8 mins).
- Meanwhile, add chili powder, paprika, cumin, coriander, garlic powder, chipotle spice, and salt to a small bowl. Mix together. Add chicken broth, lime juice, and tomato paste until a "sauce" is formed. Pour on top of chicken.
- Cook chicken in sauce for another few minutes, add cream cheese and allow the cream cheese to melt until the sauce is thickened and creamy. Toss in bacon.
- Create your burrito bowls. Using greens, rice, beans, salsa, avocado, cilantro or any of your favorite toppings.
Use just 1 jalapeño pepper for a less spicier variation