Coconut Curry Red Lentil Soup is one of my favorite meals, ever!! Delicious red curry with coconut milk in a creamy soup that is also healthy.
I need you all to know that I’ve eaten these lentils….. like 5 times this week. It’s so yummy, that after I finish a bowl, I think about when I can eat another! With the husband out of town this past week, we ate our share of beans.
Still thinking about our favorite Indian Restaurant in Germany, my kids have been requesting lentil soup all month. I wanted to wait for this first signs of fall, and with the bean hating husband out of town, we had the perfect opportunity! This made such a huge batch, that the kids were able to pack it in their lunchbox, and I was able to eat it for every lunch and a few dinners this week.
I don’t discriminate against what type of lentil, but for this particular recipe I used red lentils. They are the ones that cook the fastest! The soup comes together with a few simple ingredients and from start to finish takes less than 20 minutes! I served with Naan, another favorite Indian food from my kids. Trader Joe’s has a delicious frozen version that only takes a few minutes to bake! Enjoy your creamy lentil soup with Naan, over rice, or just plain.
Coconut Curry Red Lentil Soup
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp grated minced ginger
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 1/4 cups red lentils rinsed
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 3 tbsp red curry paste
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 2 tsp turmeric
- Salt to taste
- 1 14 oz can coconut milk
- Cilantro to garnish
- Begin by heating up a large pot to medium high heat. Add coconut oil and melt, sauté ginger & garlic for 2-3 minutes.
- Add lentils and broth, bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium. Add red curry paste, garam masala, curry powder, and turmeric.
- Let simmer for 10-15 minutes, until lentils have soaked up most of the liquid and are soft.
- Add coconut milk and stir until nice and creamy.
- Serve immediately with fresh cilantro as garnish.