Creamy Carrot and Ginger Soup is a simple, yet flavorful vegan soup that is packed full of goodness! Chopped fresh ginger is blended with chunks of carrot and coconut milk to create this creamy, delicious soup. One that provides the ultimate comfort on a cold day!
I love this soup. Like…. LOVE LOVE LOVE everything about it! It even has a special place in my heart because of the inspiration behind it. My sweet little girl, Miss Carbivore, and I used to lunch once a week at this fabulous little cafe in Germany. It was attached to an organic farm that we would visit weekly to pick out our eggs, dairy, meat, and fresh produce. During our homeschool days, she and I spent many special moments together at this cafe. We would often bring a book to read together, or work on other little school projects. We always coupled this with a big bowl of yummy carrot and ginger soup, and followed the meal with a cup of tea. It was always our favorite part of the week! Now that we have moved back to the US, these memories are some of my favorite memories that I hold of our entire 4 year experience traveling Europe!
Recently we were chatting about these times, and she asked me to make her this soup. Of course, I had to replicate it! I am pretty sure their version had a cream/milk base, but I used coconut milk instead to lighten it up. Miss Carbivore definitely approved! She even helped me with this photo shoot, and couldn’t stop sneaking her own bites:
In fact, she ate 3 bowls for dinner the other night! Three bowls! The kid has the stomach the size of a grape, and she somehow managed 3 bowls of this because it’s her absolute favorite. The little man also gobbled up his bowl, and they both enthusiastically asked to have it packed in their lunchbox. Such a great feeling as a mom when your kids appreciate your cooking.
So now I want you to try!
Some things about this soup. It has very simple ingredients, just real vegetables that blend together so beautifully and deliciously. I do throw in extra ginger, I might get carried away. You can tame that down a tad, if you want a more subtle flavor. I used real peeled carrots, and cut them into chunks:
You can also use baby carrots to make it even easier. I used Coconut Cream from Trader Joes as part of the base. It is awesome. I encourage you to try if you have a TJ’s nearby! If not, full fat coconut milk also works well. Serve with some crusty bread or a salad for an easy meatless monday dish. Or make for a comforting lunch on the weekend. I promise you’ll love it as much as my little family!
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 medium sized yellow onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh ginger*
- 1 lb carrots, peeled and chopped (baby carrots are also fine)
- 32 oz vegetable stock
- 1 14oz can of coconut cream or coconut milk
- ½ tsp salt + more to taste
- Begin be heating up a large skillet to medium high heat. Melt the coconut oil.
- Add onion, garlic, and ginger. Cook until fragrant and onion is almost clear, about 5 minutes.
- Add carrots and vegetable stock, bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer. Cook until carrots are nice and soft, about 25 minutes. Slowly stir in coconut milk (or coconut cream if using).
- With an immersion blender, blend soup until smooth. You can also use a regular blender and blend in batches. Add salt to taste. Serve hot!