You’ll love this easy weeknight dinner with a creamy tomato basil sauce and chicken! So much delicious flavor, and dinner can be made in 20 minutes! Dairy-free, Paleo, and Whole30 approved.
I’ve been in a tomato basil kind of mood. Lately when I walk into my local Trader Joe’s, basil plants at the front of the store are calling my name with their intoxicating smell! Something about the summertime makes me want all the basil. And because I was craving some serious comfort food a few weeks ago, this dish was born. And then it was devoured and loved by all. The end.
Just kidding, you want the recipe right??
A creamy pasta is one food that I will crave from time to time. I decided to make my favorite comfort food into a healthier dish that I can enjoy without feeling heavy, and without a stomach ache! I decided to pair my tomato sauce with just the right amount of coconut cream (have to be careful not to use too much or else it would have a coconut taste). My kids also love a creamy tomato pasta sauce, and were thrilled with this variation!
Summer is the perfect time to load up on really good zucchini for tasty zoodles. In the cooler months, butternut squash is a perfect alternative! Dig in!
Looking for a good spiralizer? This is the one I use and love!!
Creamy Tomato Basil Chicken Zoodles
- 2 tbsp olive oil or avocado oil
- 4 cloves crushed garlic divided
- 2 large chicken breasts pounded thin
- 3/4 cup diced white onion
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes*
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil plus more for garnish
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2-3 large zucchini
- Begin by heating a large skillet to medium high heat, add oil. Once hot, add 2 cloves garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Make sure your chicken breasts are pounded pretty thin, add to the pan. Cook on each side for about 4-5 minutes, or until no longer pink. Set aside and cover. Keep the heat on.
- Add a bit more oil to the pan if the pan is dry. Add remaining garlic, and onion. Cook for another 3-4 minutes until fragrant. Now add tomato sauce.
- Let the sauce simmer at medium heat for at least five minutes. Stir in coconut milk and let it melt. And finally stir in basil, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cut the chicken into small pieces and add to sauce.
- Spiralize your zucchini, and pour sauce on top. Sprinkle with more fresh basil. Enjoy!