These grilled Balsamic Veggie Kabobs have the most delicious marinade and are topped with a yummy Vegan Pesto! A perfect Meatless Monday recipe the entire family will love!
It’s grilling season!!!! Do you love it as much as I do?? I have a confession to make……My preferred method for eating any dinner is HANDS DOWN grilled. I could gobble it all up. It’s one of the reasons I love summer time. We can enjoy eating our meals outside, and I can use the grill. Oh and……..My husband does all the grilling in our family. So let’s just say it’s the one time of year where dinner is so much easier for me!! After recently enjoying my Grilled Portobello Mushroom Burger recipe, and smothering it with pesto, I knew I wanted to make a grilled veggie recipe that includes ALL the stuff…..
So yesssssssss……I combined some of my favorite summer veggies: bell pepper, zucchini, bella mushrooms, red onion, and eggplant. I used a simple favorite marinade of mine that includes: balsamic vinegar, coconut aminos (or soy sauce), coconut sugar, garlic, and some avocado oil. This has the perfect blend of tangy, salty, and sweet. It works so well on the grill!!!
While my beloved veggie kabobs are grilling, I whipped up my simple dairy free pesto. You could always add some parmesan cheese, or nutritional yeast for a more cheesy flavor. I am totally good with just the basil, pine nut, garlic, and oil concoction. And…….I always keep a large stash of this pesto in my fridge! It makes such an easy topping for anything. I like to have it on hand for easy lunches for my kiddos too.
Sooooo….. I just finished a huge bowl of these veggies for lunch. I love having leftovers! These also make a great addition to grilled meat if you’re one of those who MUST have meat with their meal (I’m looking at you husband). I’m good with vegetables for the rest of my life….
Enjoy you guys!
- 12 oz bella mushrooms or white button mushrooms
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 orange bell pepper
- 1 small eggplant
- 1 medium size zucchini
- 1 medium size red onion
- For the marinade:
- ⅓ cup balsamic vinegar
- ⅓ cup coconut aminos or soy sauce
- 3 large cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 tbsp coconut sugar*
- ⅓ cup olive oil or avocado oil
- For the Pesto:
- 2 cups loose fresh basil leaves
- ½ cup pine nuts (or walnuts)
- 4 large cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ tsp salt (+ more to taste)
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ cup olive oil or avocado oil
- Begin by preparing your vegetables. Remove stems from mushrooms. Cut the bell pepper, zucchini, eggplant, and red onion in small chunks. Dice the eggplant, add salt, and let sit for 5 minutes before dabbing with a paper towel to let the eggplant "sweat" out the bitter taste.
- Now prepare your marinade: in a bowl, whisk together all the ingredients. Or add to a jar with a lid and shake. Add your veggies to a large bowl, ziplock bag, or container with a lid. Pour marinade over the veggies, and let marinade for at least 20 minutes.
- Heat up your grill to medium/medium high heat. Thread your veggies on your kabob sticks, and place on the grill.
- Continue to rotate on the grill to ensure you evenly cook your veggies. Total cook time should be around 10-12 minutes.
- While veggies are grilling, make your pesto. Add basil, pine nuts, garlic, salt and pepper to a food processor or high powered blender. While motor is running, add oil. Continue to blend until smooth.
- Serve Kabobs with a pesto drizzle either plain, over rice or pasta, or cauliflower rice.