Grilled Tuscan Chicken is tomato, mozzarella, basil, and prosciutto stuffed chicken drizzled with balsamic cream.
The name Tuscan Chicken was simply created and inspired by my recent trip to Tuscany. This isn’t necessarily a dish that we ate in Tuscany, but the flavors of caprese and prosciutto were definitely enjoyed during our restaurant visits! The oozy gooey melted mozzarella pairs perfectly with the salty proscuitto and sweet tomato and basil. The whole family absolutely loved the many flavors of this dish! We served this with my Caprese Pasta Salad for a filling, hearty dinner. This meal is also something very simple to throw together, but something special and sophisticated to serve to guests.
To start, you will flatten your chicken. Make sure it’s less than 1/2 inch so that it grills properly. If the chicken is too thick, it becomes difficult to fold over keep together. Sprinkle with a salt, add the prosciutto, cheese, tomato, and fresh basil:
Fold over and secure with a few toothpicks. Brush the chicken with balsamic cream, a thick balsamic syrup that can be found in some grocery stores. I found mine in Trader Joe’s. You can also just brush with a thick and high quality balsamic vinegar:
Once on the grill, it takes about 7 minutes per side. The cheese will begin to melt, and you will need to check the inside of each breast to ensure it’s cooked all the way through:
Drizzle with balsamic cream or vinegar, and it’s ready to serve!
- 4 large chicken breasts
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 - 8 slices prosciutto
- 4 oz buffalo mozzarella, sliced thinly into flat discs
- 1 large tomato, sliced into ¼ inch discs
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves
- ⅓ cup of balsamic cream or thick balsamic vinegar
- Heat up your grill.
- Prepare the chicken breasts: pound each breast until very thin (about ¼ inch). Sprinkle with a bit of salt. Layer 1-2 slices of prosciutto (use 2 slices if very thin), next add 1-2 slices of cheese, 1-2 slices of tomato, and a few basil leaves. Fold the chicken breasts in half and secure with a few toothpicks. Brush with approximately 1 tbsp of balsamic cream or vinegar per chicken breast.
- Grill for 7 minutes per side about 7 minutes per side, or until chicken is no longer pink and cheese is melted.
- Drizzle with extra balsamic cream or vinegar to serve.