Grilled Veggie and Black Bean Quesadillas combine summer’s best veggies with cojita cheese and black beans, and are grilled for a delicious summer evening dinner.
I’ve been enjoying my Saturdays at the local farmer’s market, and this was another last minute dinner idea using some delicious & fresh vegetables. We picked out some summer squash, zucchini, red onion, and red bell pepper. I added some black beans with cojita cheese to boost the protein and satiety factor in these quesadillas, and topped with my 1-minute guacamole & best ever salsa! What I love about this dinner was how low maintenance and simple it was, and the kids were able to pick what they wanted to add to their quesadilla. The bean hating husband used only veggies and cheese, but added some grilled chicken to his quesadilla.
To start you will grill up the veggies:
Chop them up into small chunks. Place the veggies, beans, and cheese into your tortilla and place back on the grill:
Once your cheese is melted and the tortillas are nicely browned, it’s ready to eat! Grill time is around 20 – 25 minutes total. This can be served with Spanish Rice or use the leftover grilled vegetables on top of a green salad!
Grilled Veggie and Black Bean Quesadillas
- 2 zucchini sliced into vertical pieces about 1/8 - 1/4 inch thick
- 1 summer squash sliced into vertical pieces 1/8 - 1/4 inch thick
- 1/2 large red onion
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 8 burrito size tortillas
- 1 14 oz can of black beans drained and rinsed
- 6 oz cojita cheese
- Heat up your grill to medium - medium high heat.
- Prepare your vegetables: slice the zucchini and summer squash vertically into 1/8 - 1/4 inch thick. Slice the bell pepper and red onion into quarters. Brush both sides of the vegetables with olive oil.
- Grill the veggies about 5 minutes per side, or until it become slightly opaque with brown grill marks.
- Remove from the grill, and slice into small pieces, about 1/2 inch pieces.
- Place about 1/3 cup veggies, 1/4 cup black beans, and a few tbsp of cojita cheese into each tortilla.
- Place filled tortillas back on the grill. Grill for additional 3-4 minutes per side, or until cheese is melted.
- Serve with avocado, salsa, sour cream, or any other toppings.