This Mexican dish works absolutely perfect in the Instant Pot! Slightly spicy and smoky, with a hint of cocoa and cinnamon; such a delicious flavorful dish! This shredded mole can be used for many things: tacos, burritos, enchiladas, or bowls of rice. I love this is a meal prep dish because it makes such a large amount that can last all week!
Hey Hey friends!! Pretty pumped about what we have on the menu this week. An entire list of Cinco De Mayo recipes! Because we always need an excuse to eat more Mexican food, am I right?? I’ve teamed up with 4 of my favorite blogger friends to give you some awesome Mexican dishes.
But first up, Chicken Mole. Are you all a fan?!?! To be honest, Chicken Mole was a recipe that was always hit or miss with me. Sometimes it’s a little to cocoa or chocolate-y, sometimes a bit to sweet, and other times….Just not enough flavor!
So set to work on getting the exact combo that I love. A little tangy and spiced, just a tad bit of sweetness, a hint of richness from the cocoa, and all with the Instant Pot creating a tender pull apart chicken.
Currently loving this recipe in our rotation for taco Tuesday, and for lunch meal prep so I can enjoy throughout the week!
Other Paleo Cinco De Mayo Recipes!
Pretty excited about the rest of these recipes to add to my Cinco De Mayo Menu!
Chicken Enchilada Stuffed Peppers recipe from the Paleo Running Momma
Paleo Jalapeno Margaritas recipe from Mary’s Whole Life
Mexican Meatball Soup recipe from Real Food with Jessica
Chicken Tinga recipe from Real Simple Good
Instant Pot Chicken Mole
- 2 tbsp avocado oil or olive oil
- 1 large onion
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/3 cup smooth almond butter*
- 1 14 oz can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp chipotle chili powder**
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 lbs chicken thighs, fat trimmed
- Select the saute function on your Instant Pot (medium if possible). Once hot, coat with oil and toss in the onion and garlic. Cook for 3-4 minutes until fragrant. Select the cancel function.
Make your mole sauce: combine tomatoes, vinegar, chipotle chili powder, almond butter, cocoa powder, chili powder, cumin, sea salt, cinnamon, raisins, chicken broth, and the onion/garlic mixture into a blender. Pulse until smooth.
- Place chicken inside the Instant Pot. Pour the mole sauce on top. Secure the lid. Select the manual function (or pressure), and cook on high pressure for 8 minutes.
- Use a quick release. Once steam is removed, open the lid and remove chicken. Shred the chicken with a fork, and return to sauce.
*If not following a Whole30 or Paleo diet, use 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce in place of the powder
**If not following a Whole30 or Paleo diet, you can use peanut butter in place of almond butter. Cashew butter is also great!