This delicious kale salad has so many delicious textures and tastes of pomegranates, avocado, and a drool-worthy dressing! Full of antioxidants and omega-3’s, this salad is also Vegan, Paleo, and Whole30 approved.
That time when I said I hated kale……. I take it all back. So maybe I’m not quite on the “love” spectrum, but I’ll comfortably put myself in the “really like” boat. I am absolutely in love with arugula, and would eat it all day long without anything else. Kale not so much, but I am a huge advocate of mixing up my nutrients.
Sooooo, even though I really want to stuff my face with an arugula salad EVERYDAY, I cheat on arugula a bit. I’ve officially decided kale is a good option. But here is the thing with kale. It needs a lot of love; and by love I mean flavor. I’ve been making and eating my Pomegranate Avocado Salsa like crazy the past few weeks. Thank you to a few of my friends who are also obsessed and are making it for holiday festivities. So the thought occurred to me that this pairing would work really well in a salad. And I wanted something festive for December. Because I’m a nerd, and green and red food in the form of plants is really exciting to me….
Isn’t it purdy??? I mean, you could easily serve this all month long in December and be the cool person who serves something delicious, festive, and full of all the good nutrients in life. So can talk about that for a minute? This salad is an absolute nutrient powerhouse!! Like better than any possible meal I could possibly think of. And you know what? You don’t sit there eating it thinking, “wow, this bowl of food is full of Omega 3’s and antioxidants and is really helping my body during this busy season.”
No, you don’t think that. Because you’re too busy saying, this salad is so doggone delicious that I want to eat it everyday. And then I want to eat it for breakfast.
It’s the dressing you guys. Have you ever had the Whole Foods Zesty Tahini Dressing? It’s ridiculously good. And maybe the kale salad with that dressing was one of my inspirations behind this salad. I will also add, that the recipe actually makes WAY more dressing then you need for the salad. Save for a later use! You’re welcome. And I can’t say enough about this dressing being the perfect pairing with crunchy kale, crunchy pomegranate seeds, avocado, and pistachios. It’s just perfect. And you need to make it for lunch, for your friends, for your Christmas dinner. Go crazy!!! I certainly am CRAZY about this dish!!!
- For the Salad
- 5 cups loose kale leaves, rinsed & chopped
- Seeds of 1 pomegranate (remove skin and membrane to strip seeds)
- 1 large avocado, peeled, de-seeded, & diced
- ½ cup shelled pistachios
- Salt + pepper to taste
- For the Dressing:
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup tahini
- 3 tbsp coconut aminos or GF tamari soy sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil or avocado oil
- 2 large cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ cup water
- In a large bowl, mix together kale, pomegranate seeds, and avocado.
- Make the dressing: mix together all of the dressing ingredients (lemon juice through water) in a high powered blender or food processor. You will have more than enough dressing for the salad, and will only need about ½ cup of the dressing. Reserve the rest in a jar and save for later use (your welcome).
- Pour ½ cup of the dressing over the salad, and toss to coat. You can add more if needed.
- Salt and pepper to taste. Serve with pistachios on top.