Vegetable loaded coconut curry soup with chickpeas, quinoa, and splashed with just the right amount of lime-y zing!
Happy New Year!!! I am super excited about this month’s worth of recipes. I ate way too much sugar in December (and yes that includes the too much wine I drank), so I have decided it’s time for a 1 month cleanse. The best way to cleanse is to cut out all refined sugar. I have decided to do that and have also cut out Gluten and dairy. Definitely feeling motivated and excited about filling my days with tons of vegetables, lean protein, and healthy fats.
So to start, I am giving you one of my favorite winter lunches. This soup is just perfect for January! I’ve packed it with vegetables: sweet potatoes, onion, spinach, red bell pepper, fresh tomatoes, and lime juice. The chickpeas and quinoa provide a complete protein and load the soup with even more fiber, and finally the curry and coconut milk makes the soup come together in this creamy deliciousness with just the right amount of kick.
I made this for my friend, Becky, who was visiting from DC the other day. I knew this was right up her alley, and she loved it. Posting this recipe was also for her benefit 😉 So this is also a great dinner idea; I just happened to make a pot and decide it would be my lunch for the whole week. How easy is that? Make this on a weekend and take it with you to work all week without having to worry about prepping anything!
Lime Coconut Curry Chickpea Soup with Quinoa
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 small yellow or white onion chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh ginger
- 1 large clove garlic minced
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 large sweet potato skinned and chopped into small pieces (about 1/2 inch)
- 1 cup chopped cherry or grape tomatoes
- 3 tbsp red thai curry paste
- 32 oz vegetable broth
- 1 14 oz can coconut milk either lite or full fat
- 1 14 oz can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 2 cups cooked quinoa preferably cooled*
- 1 cup loose baby spinach leaves
- Juice of 3 limes
- Fresh cilantro for garnish, optional
- Begin by heating a large pot to medium high heat. Add coconut oil and let melt.
- Once hot, add onion, ginger, garlic, bell pepper, and sweet potato. Cook the vegetables for 6-8 minutes, until sweet potatoes are soft and onion is clear. Add tomatoes.
- Coat vegetables with the curry paste, and immediately add the vegetable broth. Turn heat down to medium, add coconut milk and chickpeas. Let coconut milk "melt" and blend in the with the soup. Simmer for another 10-15 minutes.
- Add in quinoa, lime juice, spinach, and serve hot. Garnish with cilantro.
Recipe NotesTo make 2 cups quinoa, boil 2 cups water with 1 cup quinoa. Reduce heat to low and cover. Let simmer for 15-20 minutes or until quinoa is light and fluffy, and water is completely dissolved. It's better to have the quinoa cooled for this recipe, so it doesn't continue to cook in the soup and expand.