Fresh melon with sliced avocados and arugula, tossed with a tangy honey lime vinaigrette and almond slivers. A perfect summer meal or side dish!
So has anyone else been eating their weight in melon these days? We certainly have. You know who else has? My adorable 10 month old puppy, Tallulah Lemon. She is pretty obsessed, and it’s so stinkin cute that we keep giving in to her melon eating demands.
I mean, look at this face. And she has a nose that smells her beloved melon from upstairs in my house, even if the door is closed. She instantly makes her way to the kitchen. So melon has been her breakfast and snack of choice this summer.
Alright, we can get back to the salad now. So I went to my favorite restaurant again. You know, the one where they cook a 5 course meal in front of you and only serve seasonal local ingredients? And they pair each course with wine, it’s pretty spectacular. If you are ever visiting Williamsburg you need to visit a Chef’s Kitchen in Williamsburg! One of the courses was this deliciously fresh salad and I knew as soon as I took my first bite it was going to be shared with all of you!
Fresh cut melon is sure to please any summer palate, and the added arugula and avocado with this super yummy vinaigrette makes delicious combination! Add in the slivered almonds for texture, and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar to really finish off the salad. I’m telling you all, this is even good for breakfast.
If you want to make a full serving of the salad, you will use every last drop of the vinaigrette. My idea is to make just bowl portions so I can enjoy it over several days. Cut up the melon and avocado fresh each time you serve, and have the dressing stored separately in an air tight container. Of course you can just forget all of this and make a big bowl for the entire family or for company. I promise you won’t be disappointed!
Melon and Arugula Salad with Honey Lime Vinaigrette
- For the Dressing:
- Zest of 1 lime
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 3/4 cup olive oil or walnut oil*
- For the Salad:
- 6 cups fresh arugula
- 1 cup cubed watermelon 1 inch cubes
- 1 cup cubed cantaloupe 1 inch cubes
- 1 cup cubed honey dew melon 1 inch cubes
- 2 avocados peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- Balsamic Vinegar or Balsamic cream for drizzle
- Add all dressing ingredients into a blender except the oil and mix until combined. With the blender running, add the oil. Blend until well mixed, use added water if needed.
- In a large salad bowl, toss in arugula, all the melon, and avocado. Toss with dressing.
- Plate salads and top with slivered almonds and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar or cream.
Walnut oil is my personal preference for taste, but either oil works well in this salad.