Roasted Asparagus, Cauliflower, and Mushroom Soup combines yummy vegetables with a lemon tang and basil kick! Nutritious, comforting, and a wonderful way to welcome spring time!
Happy spring!! I am so excited to bring you guys this delicious bowl of soup on the first day of spring. It’s quite perfect for the weather, really. Can’t tell if we’re going to be warm or cool this week, so this soup fits the bill! I have been patiently waiting for asparagus to be ripe and ready. I love it, and I love all the nutrition it brings to the table. Asparagus packs in the anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatory properties making it one of the absolute BEST vegetables for your body! Want to know what else? It’s even better when it’s IN SEASON. Asparagus is at its peak in April, but I love it all year round.
So this soup…… I’m thrilled with the way it turned out! I’ve been wanting an asparagus soup for awhile, and was trying to think of a flavoring combo that was just perfect. I spent some time playing around with this soup, and am absolutely in LOVE with the way it turned out! The fresh basil really gives it a bold fresh taste, and lemon adds the perfect amount of acid for balance.
I started by roasting cauliflower and asparagus in the oven.While they roasted, I roasted the mushrooms with garlic and onion in a large pot on the stove. Once the asparagus and cauliflower were finished, I tossed them in the same pot, and covered everything with some vegetable broth. Once everything boiled, I blended it all together with lemon and basil. It is also super tasty topped with some pesto, lemon pepper, and even parmesan cheese (it also tastes great dairy-free!)
A quick funny story. So I made this for St. Patrick’s Day; we were celebrating green food and all. My kids don’t love asparagus or mushrooms, but they do love pesto. So I made this earlier in the day, and told them we were eating pesto soup for dinner. They loved it! Had no idea that asparagus was all pureed in there, nor did they ever suspect mushrooms. I topped it with parmesan cheese and some homemade pesto to give it even more of a “pesto” flavor for them. It was super yummy and highly recommended if you have pesto!
Roasted Asparagus, Cauliflower, and Mushroom Soup
- 1 - 1.5 lbs asparagus*
- 1 medium sized head of cauliflower
- 3 tbsp olive oil divided
- 1/2 large yellow onion chopped
- 8 oz sliced brown mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- Juice of 1 lemon about 3 tbsp
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 cup fresh loose basil leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Prepare the cauliflower and asparagus: chop bottoms off the asparagus stalks and discard, slice the remaining stalks into 2 inch long spears. Chop the cauliflower into florets. Spread cauliflower and asparagus onto a large baking sheet and drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil. Salt and pepper. Place inside the oven to roast for approximately 25 mins, gently turning the vegetables halfway through.
- Meanwhile, heat up a large soup pot to medium heat. Add 2 tbsp olive oil, chopped onion, sliced mushrooms, and garlic. Sauté vegetables for 8-10 minutes, or until flagrant.
- Add asparagus and cauliflower to soup pot. Cover with broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add lemon juice, zest, and basil leaves. Using an immersion blender, puree until smooth. Alternatively, cool down the soup a bit, and pour into a large blender or food processor to puree.
- Serve immediately and garnish with any of the following optional toppings.
- Optional toppings: Parmesan cheese, lemon pepper, pesto, or even pancetta.
I used a pretty large bunch of asparagus, but wasn't sure the exact weight. A bundle of asparagus will work!