Roasted Red Pepper Pasta is made from a fresh red bell peppers oven roasted and blended into a tangy sauce.
This pasta dish is a great way to get your kids eating their vegetables and really enjoying them. Like most kids, mine LOVE pasta. I don’t love to eat it very often, but this makes them so happy that we probably have pasta dishes at least once a week. Even if your people aren’t sure they love red bell pepper, oh my goodness, just trust me and try this! They can think it’s tomato sauce, and will probably devour it and ask for seconds like mine do. This sauce comes together with just a few simple ingredients, and tastes best when red bell peppers are in peak season (summer time!).
You will need to roast your bell peppers in your oven ahead of time, and this should take about 20 minutes under a very hot oven. I start boiling my pasta while this is happening. For the peppers, I cut them in half, coat them with olive oil, and they generally come out looking like this:
I love the dark blisters on the skin, and think it adds a smoky character to the pasta! Let the peppers cool off a bit. Add them to your blender with the red wine vinegar and oil, and pulse until smooth. Your sauce will now be bright red and super yummy:
Add your sauce to the pasta, and dinner is ready! I usually have some extra sauce that I reserve for something else. It makes a delicious veggie dip!
Roasted Red Pepper Pasta
- 6 red bell peppers
- 1/4 cup olive oil + 1 tbsp
- 1 lb whole wheat bow tie pasta
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees
- Prepare your peppers: Cut each pepper in half or thirds, strip membrane, de-seed, and brush the tops with olive oil.
- Place on a baking sheet and cook for about 20 minutes, or until the peppers are nice and soft and are slightly charred.
- While peppers are roasting, prepare your pasta according to package directions.
- Cool bell peppers and place them into a blender with remaining olive oil, vinegar, and garlic. Pulse until smooth.
- Serve immediately with pasta and garnish with parmesan cheese (optional)