Slow Cooker Beef Burgundy combines beef, bacon, fresh herbs, and vegetables that are braised in a red wine sauce. A simple yet elegant dinner for a special occasion, or easy enough to be served on a weeknight!
I absolutely love Beef Burgundy this time of year. It’s perfect for a holiday party, but also just a perfect dinner for the winter. I’ve been making a variation from a cookbook I received as a wedding gift over 10 years ago, and it’s supposedly adapted from Julia Childs. A friend of mine recently asked me for my recipe, and I could not find the darn cookbook to save my life!! Still hidden from the move I’m sure, along with my attachments from my Kitchenaid mixer, my Christmas Tree topper, Christmas books for my kids, and the list goes on. One of these days it will appear…….I’m hopeful!
In the meantime, I told her I would work on the recipe. I wanted to try it out in my slow cooker, and see if I could make it even better. There is now no other way to make this recipe. The beef was absolutely delicious. Perfectly tender and flavorful! My sweet friend follows a Gluten-Free diet, so I was even able to make this recipe Gluten-Free and Paleo. Be sure to use a high quality, organic red wine for best results!
I love the way this recipe came together so simply in the slow cooker by throwing everything into the slow cooker. I started off by cooking the bacon and browning the meat just a tad. Everything else was tossed together and slow cooked for 4 hours (up to 6 is also even better!)
The dish has more of a stew or soup consistency and is best served over rice or potatoes (I love it on top of a sweet potato mash!) I use arrowroot starch as my thickening agent, you can always replace with flour if you do not follow a GF or Paleo diet or do not have any arrowroot (just double the amount).
This special meal is a fantastic option for Christmas Eve, Christmas, or New Year’s. And without having to stay in the kitchen for hours, let the slow cooker do the work for you!
Slow Cooker Beef Burgundy
- 4 strips thick bacon
- 1.5 lbs sirloin steak or stew beef cut into 1-2 inch pieces
- 1 medium size white onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup arrowroot starch
- 3 cups beef broth
- 2 cups Burgundy wine or high quality red wine
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup chopped or sliced carrots
- 12 oz sliced mushrooms
- 1 sprig of rosemary
- 2 bay leafs
- 2 tbsp honey
- salt and pepper to taste
- Begin by heating a up large skillet, add bacon and cook until crispy. Remove from pan leaving the bacon grease, set aside to cool, and chop into small pieces.
- Add beef, onion, and garlic to hot skillet. Cook for 3-4 minutes, until the beef is barely browned, and transfer to your slow cooker.
- Place arrowroot starch in a bowl with the beef broth and stir until combined. Add liquid to the slow cooker on top of the beef.
- Add wine, tomato paste, carrots, mushrooms, chopped bacon, rosemary, honey, and bay leafs to the beef mixture.
- Set slow cooker to low, and cook for 4-6 hours.
- Remove bay leaf and rosemary twig (leaves will have fallen into the beef mixture). Salt and Pepper to taste. Serve with sweet potato mash, rice, or as a hearty stew.