Slow Cooker Kung Pao Chicken is full of spicy and tangy flavor, and gives you all the delicious taste of take-out with much healthier ingredients!
I have been slow-cookin up a storm the past few months. Days are busy and I am not able to spend as much time in the kitchen. Quite honestly, me and my slow cooker are in a really strong relationship right now. I’m just enjoying her so much more than I ever have! Even on the days where I could spend a bit more time and use the oven or stove, I want to use the slow cooker. It just simplifies my life so much. This healthy relationship is good for you too! More easy recipes that can be cooking while you’re running around in the afternoons or evenings.
I love this recipe because Chinese takeout has always been a tough one for me. I will often like the taste, but find myself sick after eating it. By making this myself, I can put in REAL ingredients that agree with my stomach. Anyone else hear me on this one?
I’ve created a delicious sauce with chili garlic sauce, hoison sauce, and a few other tangy ingredients. Both Chili Garlic and Hoison sauce can be found in your Asian section of your local grocery store. The chicken is coated with arrowroot powder and cooked very briefly on the stove to create a “stickier” texture. Why arrowroot powder? It’s my own personal preference over corn starch because it’s GMO free and a more natural thickening agent. Cornstarch can also work in this recipe. Just the chicken, sauce and bell pepper are thrown into the slow cooker to begin. Once cooked, add in the water chestnuts, nuts, and green onions:
The water chestnuts and peanuts add the perfect crunchy texture, and the fresh vegetables also add some sweetness! Serve on top of a bowl of rice for a complete meal. We also tossed with some raw carrots!
Slow Cooker Kung Pao Chicken
- 1 lb chicken breast
- 2 tbsp arrowroot powder
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/4 cup Tamari Soy Sauce
- 3 tbsp hoisin sauce*
- 3 tbsp chili garlic sauce
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp sriracha
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 large red bell pepper cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 8 oz can water chestnuts
- 1 cup peanuts
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion for garnish optional
- Begin by heating up a large skillet to medium high heat.
- Meanwhile, prepare your chicken. Cut your chicken breasts into 1-2 inch pieces or cubes. Place in a medium sized bowl, and sprinkle with arrowroot powder. Mix to coat the chicken.
- Melt the coconut oil in the skillet, and add chicken. Cook briefly on each side, about 2-3 minutes. Chicken should not be cooked through when you remove it.
- Toss chicken in the slow cooker.
- Meanwhile, make your sauce: mix together soy sauce, chili garlic sauce, hoisin sauce, apple cider vinegar, honey, sriracha, and sesame oil. Pour over chicken in slow cooker. Add chopped bell pepper.
- Cook on low for 2-3 hours. Add in water chestnuts, peanuts, and green onion (if using). Serve with rice.
If following a GF diet, Hoisin sauce does come in a GF variation.