Deliciously spiced and braised tofu pan fried to make yummy vegan tacos!! Throw in all of your favorite toppings for a taco bowl or serve with tortillas for meatless taco night.
Remember the time I told you all how much I love taco night? Or how our one of our family traditions is celebrating taco Tuesday every week?!? Well I’m here to tell you again.
Doesn’t matter if it’s chicken, ground beef, steak…….Or tofu. Yep, that’s right, join me on the Sofritas train. They are that good!! Perhaps you have noticed in the last few years that your local Chipotle Restaurant has added Sofritas to the menu? It’s my favorite filling at Chipotle. Plenty of protein without feeling too heavy. I decided to try this out at home as our Meatless Monday meal a few weeks ago why the husband was away. Imagine my kids’ reactions when Taco Tuesday was happening on a Monday- They were beyond excited!! And no, I didn’t have to tell them what type of tacos. They ate, they loved, and they didn’t complain. Success!!!!
Speaking of success, the best way to cook really good tofu is to make sure the tofu gets plenty of flavor and a nice crispy texture. I started off by cutting into chunks and draining some of the water with a paper towel. I then seasoned the tofu, and placed it in the pan to get a little crispy. Once it was the texture I wanted, I dumped in the home made sauce and let it simmer:
Pretty simple. You can place it in tortillas with your favorite toppings. This is how I enjoyed mine:
It’s the way I enjoy them at Chipotle, and how I normally enjoy my tacos. My kids loved them in corn tortillas. Speaking of my kids, when they were almost finished with their tacos, they did ask what kind of “meat” was inside. I told them tofu, like the kind mom gets at Chipotle. The little Bear has now decided this is what he wants to order next time we go to Chipotle. But now that I have these to make at home, who knows how long it will be before we eat there again?
Sofritas Tofu Tacos
- For the Sofritas:
- 2 medium size poblano peppers
- 16 oz extra firm tofu
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 4 chipotle peppers + 2 tbsp adobe sauce
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- Juice of 1 lime
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped white onion
- 1/4 cup loose chopped cilantro
- Tacos or Taco Bowls:
- Corn Tortillas
- Fresh guacamole
- Chopped avocado
- Black Beans
- Begin by roasting your poblano peppers. Heat up a large skillet to medium high heat. Lightly brush olive oil on the skin of the peppers, place inside the skillet, and brown on all sides of the peppers. Set aside to cool. Turn heat down on the pan to use for the tofu. Lightly grease the pan with olive oil or coconut oil.
- Prepare your tofu but cutting the large block into small chunks (about 1/2 inch). Drain out an excess water with a paper towel. In a small bowl, combine chili powder, cumin, paprika, coriander and salt. Coat the tofu in the spices and toss in the hot skillet. Break up the tofu even more until it resembles a scrambled look. Cook until the tofu is lightly golden and crispy (about 5-7 mins).
- Meanwhile, make the sauce. Place the chipotle peppers and adobe sauce in a food processor or blender with the poblano peppers, tomato paste, garlic, onion, lime juice, and cilantro. Pulse until smooth.
- Add sauce to tofu and let simmer an additional 10-15 minutes.
- Serve with tortillas for tacos, or create a bowl with your favorite toppings.