A refreshing lemon curry chicken dish served up with fresh vegetables, and a tangy lemon coconut curry dressing.
Have you tried zoodles yet? I’m a huge fan. A pasta like texture that is guilt-free and replaces noodles with zucchini. They allow me to enjoy pasta dishes without feeling to full or heavy, and they are super simple with the right tools. I used to love pasta and want it for every meal. I’ve slowly changed these desires over the years, but I still love the occasional bowl/plate of pasta. Enter my kitchen gadget: a not fancy zoodle making tool that is only $15. Now I can enjoy pasta meals, or just add zucchini to practically everything!
Last week, I posted my Thai Lemon Coconut Curry Dressing and told you about the Marks and Spencer salad my kids gobbled up that inspired the dish. It was a thai noodle salad with fresh vegetables, quinoa, chicken, and a delicious dressing. We all loved it! For the version that I made here, I used zoodles combined with pasta for my kids since it was their first time trying zoodles. Pairing unfamiliar foods with familiar foods is a technique I use to encourage them to try new tastes. They thought zoodles were super cool. We have been adding them more often to foods without any complaints! .
To start this dish, you’ll cook your chicken in a skillet over medium heat. I just rubbed a little curry powder on the chicken breasts, cooked them over coconut oil, and it took about 10 minutes total.
I set them aside and prepared my zoodles. I actually like zoodles that are raw, but also think they are really yummy sautéed for a few minutes with some olive oil and garlic. Either way works. I use this inexpensive spiralizer, and 2 large zucchinis. I prepared the dressing in a food processor:
Putting the salad or noodle/zoodle bowl all together was fun. Everyone picked their choice of fresh vegetables and enjoyed a bowl that looked like this:
A light and refreshing dinner that is perfect for a warm summer night! I’ve also used cucumbers and bell peppers as part of the bowl, but feel free to use your favorite veggies.
Thai Lemon Curry Chicken with Zoodles
- 3 large chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 large zucchini
- 3/4 cup canned coconut milk
- 1 tbsp curry paste
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 large bell peppers cut into slices
- 1 cucumber 8-10 inches, cut into slices
- For the chicken. Combine sea salt and curry powder into a small bowl. Rub each chicken breast with approximately 1 tsp seasoning on both sides. Heat up a skillet pan to medium - medium high heat. Add 2 tbsp coconut oil, and then place chicken breasts in pan. Cook for approximately 5 minutes on each side or until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink. Set aside. Once cooled, slice into thin slices.
- Prepare the Zoodles by using a spiralizer. Alternatively, you can use noodle pasta or a combination of both. Zoodles can be enjoyed raw, or cooked over medium heat for 2-3 minutes with olive oil. Set aside.
- For the dressing: Combine coconut milk, curry paste, vinegar, lemon, turmeric, honey, and fresh basil into a food processor. Pulse for about 30 seconds until nice and smooth.
- Assemble your bowls: Place zoodles, then chicken, cucumbers & bell peppers, and dressing into a bowl or plate. Toss to combine.