This amazing Balsamic Caprese Chicken Skillet is everything you want in an easy dinner! Delicious chicken cooked in butter balsamic and fresh tomato sauce topped with basil and gooey mozzarella. You’ll love that this dinner comes together with just one pan and less than 30 minutes! Keto friendly, gluten-free, and low carb!
Winner Winner Easy Chicken Dinner!
Sometimes the most simple ingredients make for the best tasting dinners!! We’re going all out on simplicity, ease, and absolute deliciousness with this one pan dinner made in less than 30 minutes.
Back when this recipe was first published, I was fresh off a trip to Italy and had fresh tomato sauce recipes in my head. All I could think about was tomatoes, and cheese, and basil, and balsamic!! You get the idea about the inspiration of this dish. I was also dreaming about pizza, gelato, proscuitto and salami too…..But we’ll save that for another time 😉
As a nutritionist, I also know the importance of using in-season produce for maximum flavor and nutritional benefit. My favorite part of this dish is the simplicity of in-season tomatoes and basil, but also the butter and balsamic really make this sauce fantastic. Definitely some comfort food here. Because sometimes in life, we just need a little butter. And fresh summer cherry tomatoes. So let’s get started!
How to make Balsamic Caprese Chicken Skillet:
Let’s gather up our ingredients:
- butter (can use ghee in it’s place)
- chicken breast
- cherry tomatoes
- balsamic vinegar
- buffalo mozarella
- fresh basil
- sea salt to taste
Just a handful of REAL FOOD ingredients!
- Begin by heating up your pan and adding some butter (1/2 stick) and garlic (make sure the pan is very hot before you add the butter and garlic). The butter will turn a nice golden color very quickly. This is a good thing. Let the garlic get flavorful for only about a minute.
- Add the chicken, and sauté on each side for just a few minutes. The chicken will not be cooked through, but we will reserve it for later.
- Now add the rest of the butter and the cherry tomatoes to the pan with butter. Cook for about 2-3 minutes and add a lid. You’ll cook for another 5-7 minutes until your tomatoes soften and can be mashed a little bit.
- Add 2 tbsp of Balsamic Vinegar, and then place the chicken on top. At this point you’ll cover the the chicken with a lid and let it cook with the tomatoes for 2-3 minutes, or until it’s almost cooked all the way through.
- Now add your buffalo mozzarella. Once again, cover the chicken with a lid. Cook for another few minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle some fresh basil, and drizzle the rest of your balsamic.
It’s ready to eat!! You’ll need to salt this up a bit, and add more balsamic to your liking.
Serve hot. I served this to my kids with crusty bread and they loved it. I ate this on top of a bed of arugula myself without any starch. Pasta or zucchini noodles would also be perfect with this dish.
My Easy House Salad also makes a delicious pairing!
You could easily omit the mozzarella cheese and the butter. In place, use ghee for cooking (to get that buttery flavor). In place of mozzarella, you can also use slices of avocado. No need to go that extra step in melting the cheese with the lid!
Other Easy One Pan Skillet Dinners you will love!
- Walnut Crusted Lemon Chicken Piccata
- Sausage Stir Fry with Mustard Sauce
- Skillet Chimichurri Steak and Peppers
- Balsamic Honey Chicken Stir Fry
Hungry for More? Subscribe to get new recipes delivered straight to your inbox! And be sure to stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Balsamic Caprese Chicken Skillet
Balsamic Caprese Chicken Skillet is a one pan dinner that comes together in less than 30 minutes! You'll love the flavorful fresh tomato sauce and basil. Paleo and Whole30 options!
- 4 tbsp grass fed butter or ghee divided
- 3 large cloves of garlic crushed
- 4 medium to large chicken breast
- 1.5 lbs cherry tomatoes
- 4 tbsp good quality balsamic vinegar
- 6 oz buffalo mozzarella cheese* cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
- 1/2 cup fresh basil chopped
- Salt to taste
Prepare the chicken breast by pounding to less than 1 inch thick. Set aside.
Begin by heating a large skillet pan to medium high heat. Once the pan is hot, add 2 tbsp of butter and crushed garlic. Simmer for about 1 minute until the garlic is fragrant and the butter is golden.
Add chicken breast. Cook on each side for 2 minutes, until the chicken is golden. It will not be cooked through, set aside for later.
Add the other 2 tbsp of butter to the pan, then toss in the cherry tomatoes. Cover the pan, and cook the tomatoes for another 5-7 minutes or until the tomatoes are softened and can be pressed down to make a thick sauce. Mix in 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar and salt.
Add the chicken back to the pan and cover. Cook for another 2-3 minutes or until chicken is almost cooked through.
Place mozzarella slices on top of the chicken and cover. Simmer for another few minutes until the cheese is melted.
Drizzle with remaining balsamic and add fresh basil. Serve warm on top of a salad, with crusty bread, or with pasta.
*Use avocado in place of mozzarella for a dairy free version.
What a wonderful recipe. I tried this tonight and it was so easy to make and very tasty!
Thanks Cindy! Glad you enjoyed it!
Damarius Marion says
Delicious! Great dinner tonight with a salad and some crusty bread.
Kristin Chilcott says
This recipe did not disappoint! It almost seemed to easy to put together to be so delish! I did sauté mushrooms before adding the tomatoes and I used chicken thighs vs. breasts. A definite family winner!!
Love to hear that, thanks Kristin!!
Andi Karwall says
This was/is very very savory! And not much prep work! We are a big fan of your recipes. Thank You!