5 minutes of prep time is all you need for this delicious and flaky Instant Pot Lemon Pepper Salmon! The Instant Pot creates the silkiest and most amazing flaky salmon texture! This healthy salmon is also Keto-friendly and pairs well with cauliflower rice. Only 15 minutes from start to finish to get this easy dinner on the table.
As a nutritionist, I know the importance of including salmon on a weekly basis for brain and heart health. Loaded with Omega 3’s, antioxidants, and lean protein; salmon is such a great choice for a healthy and balanced dinner. I love a good salmon recipe because it cooks so quickly. This salmon dinner is just one of several Keto-Friendly Instant Pot recipes in my library!
15 minutes to cook salmon!
I am absolutely thrilled to bring you a salmon recipe that comes together so easily and quickly in the Instant Pot. You’ll love this amazingly easy salmon method for meal prep, or just when you need a lightening fast dinner that is loaded with veggies and nutrients.
You might never have thought to cook fish in your Instant Pot, but in about 15 minutes you will have the silkiest, flaky, and luscious salmon you’ve ever had in your life.
Because I am absolutely devoted to giving you all fast and super simple dinners that you can make on a busy weeknight, I think you will love this list of 50 of the easiest Whole30 One Pan Meals! You’ll find this Instant Pot Lemon Pepper Salmon, more Instant Pot dinners, and other one pan meals you can make on the stovetop or oven. Even if not doing Whole30, there are plenty of healthy dinners to try!
Allow me to introduce you to my recipe developer today: Chef Shelley at Chef in the Burbs. Shelley is a personal chef, and busy wife and mom who specializes in Weekend Fancy and Weeknight Fast recipes!
Why use the Instant Pot:
Here are two huge reasons to use your Instant Pot the next time you’re making salmon for dinner.
- The texture is unreal. I know silky might sound a little weird to describe fish, but it seriously is! It’s so moist and tender, you wouldn’t believe it if you didn’t cook it yourself.
- The sauce bonus. After seasoning the salmon and throwing some herbs in the water, what ends up in the bottom of the pot is a fully flavored delicate broth that’s perfect to spoon over the salmon and veggies. Especially if you stir in a little extra healthy fat after the salmon has cooked.
What you need to make Instant Pot Salmon
Just a handful of ingredients is all you need:
- Skin on salmon filet
- Salt and Pepper
- Ghee or butter
- Bell pepper
- Fresh herbs like dill or tarragon
How to make flaky salmon in the Instant Pot
So honestly, this recipe couldn’t be any easier. Here is all you need to do:
- Add butter or ghee to the salmon and season with salt and pepper. Place lemon slices on top of the filet.
- Pour water in the bottom of the IP with fresh herbs. Place the steam rack on top, and salmon on top of the steam rack with the skin side down.
- Select the steam function (you can also use manual/high pressure if you don’t have a steam function), and steam for 3 minutes.
- While salmon is cooking, julienne the vegetables (or dice if you prefer).
- Use a quick release on the Instant Pot. Remove the salmon, and select the saute function. Saute the veggies for 1-2 minutes.
- Slice the salmon and serve with veggies. Spoon any residual sauce from the veggie/ghee/herb mixture in the bottom of the Instant Pot. You can also top with more fresh herbs and additional lemon juice!
Serving and Storing:
Here are a few fabulous side dishes that work great with this dinner. I also love this for meal prep. Make the salmon ahead, and store in an air tight container for up to one week. It’s best to slice into smaller pieces before refrigerating.
Serve with any of the following side dishes:
- Skillet Creamy Lemon Brussels Sprouts
- Easy House Salad
- Cauliflower Rice Tabbouleh
- Easy Oven Roasted Potatoes
- Roasted Cauliflower Salad with Lemon Tahini Vinaigrette
Looking for another delicious Salmon Instant Pot recipe? You’ll love these Instant Pot Chipotle Salmon Bowls!
15 Minute Instant Pot Flaky Lemon Pepper Salmon
Instant Pot Lemon Pepper Salmon comes together with only 5 minutes of prep time and a handful of ingredients! So simple with a perfect salmon texture.
- ¾ cup water
- A few sprigs of parsley, dill, tarragon, basil or a combo
- 1.5 lb salmon filet skin on
- 2 tbsp ghee or other healthy fat divided
- ¼ tsp salt or to taste
- ½ tsp pepper or to taste
- 1/2 lemon thinly sliced + more to taste
- 1 zucchini julienned
- 1 red bell pepper julienned
- 2 carrots julienned
Place water and herbs in the Instant Pot and then put in the steamer rack making sure the handles are extended up.
Drizzle salmon with 1 tbsp ghee/fat, season with salt and pepper, and cover with lemon slices. Place salmon, skin down on rack.
Close the Instant Pot and make sure the vent is sealed. Select the “Steam” function (you can also use manual/high pressure) and press the + or – buttons to set it to 3 minutes.
While salmon cooks, julienne your veggies.
When cooking is complete, use a quick release. Select the cancel button. Remove lid, and using hot pads, carefully remove rack with salmon and set on a plate.
Remove herbs and discard. Add veggies and select the “Sauté” function and let the veggies cook for another 2 to 3 minutes using the residual butter/ghee and lemon juice.
Serve salmon with veggies on top. Add remaining tbsp of butter/ghee to the pot and pour a little of the sauce over veggies and salmon if desired. Top with any additional fresh herbs and a squeeze of lemon juice.
The cooking time will vary, depending on the thickness of your salmon. 3 minutes is perfect for a filet that’s about 1 inch at its thickest part. Ask your seafood person for a center cut piece, or heat end. The tail end is much thinner.
If you don’t want to julienne the veggies, you cut them up bite sized and cook them longer, or steam them in a separate pot while the salmon cooks
Photo Credit: All photos in this post were take by Loren at Sweet Rustic Bakes