Get ready for this amazingly delicious and simple 20 minute Philly cheesesteak Skillet! You’ll love how quickly this comes together with top sirloin steak, mushrooms, onions, and flavorful bell peppers. So much flavor, and easy to make on a busy weeknight. Keto friendly and low-carb!
These days, I am all about the easy skillet 20 minute meals like my Mediterranean Chicken Skillet or Beef and Veggie Taco Skillet— gimme all the one pan meals! Our lives have been hectic. But as a nutritionist, I am always mindful of prioritizing dinner as a time for our family to reconnect and enjoy a delicious meal. This Philly cheesesteak Skillet is no exception!
In this delicious dinner, we’re using one pan to create a low-carb and Keto version of America’s favorite Sandwich! Thinly sliced flavorful steak is sautéed with some mushrooms, peppers, and onions. We then top with some cheesy goodness! You can always add the hoagie if you want, or serve alongside some greens or cauliflower rice. Either way, you won’t be disappointed!
Ingredients for a Philly Cheesesteak Skillet
Here are the ingredients we will need:
- Steak: I used Top Sirloin in this recipe. But typical cheesesteak sandwiches can have flat iron, skirt steak, flank steak, ribeye, or even beef tenderloin. Ribeye would be fabulous here!
- Mushrooms: I love the hearty umami taste that mushrooms add to the beef here.
- Onions: Use thinly sliced white or yellow onions
- Bell Peppers: We are using both red and green bell pepper
- Provolone cheese: this type of cheese is what we use in a typical Philly cheesesteak Sandwich! I love the way it melts in the skillet.
20 Minutes and one Skillet – is that it?
YES!!! Making this Philly cheesesteak Skillet is very low maintenance. I promise. We start by heating a large skillet to medium high heat (wait until the pan is hot), and cook the steak.
- Tip 1: To cut the steak into thin slices against the grain, you can freeze for 20 minutes so it’s easier to slice.
- Tip 2: You may want to cook the steak in batches and ensure the steak is not crowded or else the steak will steam.
- Tip 3: The steak should not be cooked all the way, we are only cooking for 1-2 minutes per side
We’ll keep the pan hot and set the steak aside. Saute the mushrooms, onion, and pepper altogether. Toss in the garlic after 5 minutes. Then bring the steak back to the pan and season with salt and pepper. Top with cheese, and place under the broiler for 1 minute before serving!
Serving and Storing
Serving: You can easily enjoy this with a hoagie or your favorite bread– this is a great option for kids. Or as a wrap. For a low carb and Keto variation, you can eat as is, with cauliflower rice, or with greens. My House Salad is always a good idea!
Storing: You can store in the fridge for up to 5 days. I don’t think the leftovers re-heat as well (that’s just my personal preference), but re-heat over medium low heat on a skillet.
Other One Pan Skillet dinners you will love!
- Walnut Crusted Lemon Chicken Piccata
- Harvest Balsamic Chicken Skillet
- Chimichurri Steak and Pepper Skillet
Philly cheesesteak Skillet
This delicious and simple Philly cheesesteak Skillet is a low-carb and Keto version of America's favorite sandwich! Thinly sliced steak, peppers, onions, and mushrooms all come together with some cheesy goodness in only 20 minutes.
- 1.5 lbs thinly sliced top sirloin steak, flank steak, or skirt steak
- 1 tbsp avocado oil (divided)
- 8 oz sliced baby Bella mushrooms
- 1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper
- 4 slices Provolone cheese
Thinly slice your steak against the grain. You can freeze up to 20 minutes it's easier to slice. Season the steak with salt and pepper.
Turn on the broiler of your oven. Heat a large cast iron skillet to medium high heat. Once your skillet is hot, add a few tsp oil, then add the steak. Cook for 1-2 minutes per side (you may have to do this in batched if the pan is crowded to ensure you don't steam the steak). Set aside the steak once it's browned. It should not be cooked all the way! Set the steak aside, and keep the pan hot.
Now add in the remaining oil, then the mushrooms, onion, and peppers. Saute for 5 minutes, adding more oil if needed, then toss in the garlic. Cook for another minute.
Add the steak back to the skillet and toss to combine with the vegetables. Season with salt and pepper. Top with cheese and transfer to the broiler for 1 minute. Enjoy hot!