Creamy Carrot and Ginger Soup is a simple, yet flavorful Vegan soup that is packed full of goodness! Chopped fresh ginger is blended with chunks of carrot and coconut milk to create this creamy, delicious soup. One that provides the ultimate comfort on a cold day! Can be made on the stovetop or Instant Pot.
I love this soup. Like…. LOVE LOVE LOVE everything about it! Say Creamy Carrot and Ginger Soup, and my heart and belly get so happy! It even has a special place in my heart because of the inspiration behind it.
My sweet little girl, Miss Carbivore, and I used to lunch once a week at this fabulous little cafe in Germany. It was attached to an organic farm that we would visit weekly to pick out our eggs, dairy, meat, and fresh produce. During our homeschool days, she and I spent many special moments together at this cafe. We would often bring a book to read together, or work on other little school projects. We always coupled this with a big bowl of yummy carrot and ginger soup, and followed the meal with a cup of tea. It was always our favorite part of the week! Now that we have moved back to the US, these memories are some of my favorite memories that I hold of our entire 4 year experience traveling Europe!
Recently we were chatting about these times, and she asked me to make her this soup. Of course, I had to replicate it! I am pretty sure their version had a cream/milk base, but I used coconut milk instead to lighten it up. Miss Carbivore definitely approved! She even helped me with this photo shoot, and couldn’t stop sneaking her own bites:
In fact, she ate 3 bowls for dinner the other night! Three bowls! The kid has the stomach the size of a grape, and she somehow managed 3 bowls of this because it’s her absolute favorite. The little man also gobbled up his bowl, and they both enthusiastically asked to have it packed in their lunchbox. Such a great feeling as a mom when your kids appreciate your cooking.
So now I want you to try!
How to make Creamy Carrot and Ginger Soup
Some things about this soup:
- It has very simple ingredients, just real vegetables that blend together so beautifully and deliciously.
- Ingredients include: carrots, onion, garlic, ginger, vegetable stock, and coconut cream. That’s it! If you want to add in additional protein, serve with some shrimp on top or even chicken breast.
- I do throw in extra ginger, I might get carried away. You can tame that down a tad, if you want a more subtle flavor.
- I used coconut cream in place of coconut milk to make a tad bit creamier
- I used real peeled carrots, and cut them into chunks (You can also use baby carrots in it’s place):
Instant Pot Variation:
You can also make this soup in the Instant Pot!! It’s even easier than the stovetop because it’s hands-free. You’ll saute the onion, garlic, and ginger just like the stovetop. Then place the carrots and broth in the IP before securing the lid. Cook on high pressure for 6 minutes, then use a quick release. Add in the coconut milk after pressure cooking and blend to serve.
Serving and Storing:
Serve with some crusty bread or a salad for an easy meatless Monday dish. My favorite salads to pair this this soup is my simple Shaved Brussels Sprouts and Pear Salad with Dijon Vinaigrette or Fall Harvest Salad with Pumpkin Vinaigrette.
This makes a fabulous lunch all week. You can store in the fridge for up to a week and just reheat at each use!
You can also freeze this soup for up to 3 months. Bring to room temperature, then re-heat over the stovetop.
Creamy Carrot and Ginger Soup (Dairy-Free)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 medium sized yellow onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh ginger*
- 1 lb carrots peeled and chopped (baby carrots are also fine)
- 24-32 oz vegetable stock**
- 1 14 oz can of coconut cream or coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp salt + more to taste
For the Stovetop:
- Begin be heating up a large skillet to medium high heat. Melt the coconut oil.
- Add onion, garlic, and ginger. Cook until fragrant and onion is almost clear, about 5 minutes.
- Add carrots and vegetable stock, bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer. Cook until carrots are nice and soft, about 25 minutes. Slowly stir in coconut milk (or coconut cream if using).
- With an immersion blender, blend soup until smooth. You can also use a regular blender and blend in batches. Add salt to taste. Serve hot!
For the Instant Pot:
- Select the saute function on your IP. Once hot, add oil and onion. Let saute for 2-3 minutes, then add garlic and ginger and saute for another 2 minutes.
- Select cancel on your IP. Add carrots and broth. Secure the lid. Now select the manual function, and cook on high pressure for 6 minutes.
- Use a quick release. Stir in coconut milk, salt (add more to taste if needed).
- Using a blender or immersion blender, blend until creamy.
- Serve hot!
*I get carried away with ginger. I may have even used around 4 tbsp. If you want the ginger to be a more subtle taste, than cut it to about 1-2 tbsp.
**Start with 24 oz of broth, especially if using the instant pot since the liquid does not evaporate like it does on the stovetop. After blending, you can add in an additional cup of broth if needed.