Tender beef slow cooked in a creamy mushroom sauce, and served over a bed of cauliflower rice for a simple weeknight dinner. Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff is a simple variation of the classic dish that is dairy-free, Paleo, and Whole 30 compliant!
**Recipe has been updated with new photos and include Instant Pot directions!
Oh hey guys, just serving up a more nutritious and easier way to enjoy this classic dish. A few basic ingredients thrown into the slow cooker, no prepping anything before hand, and dinner is ready to go when you get home…. Winning!!! I’ve also included directions on how to make this yummy recipe in your Instant Pot.
My husband and I have always loved beef stroganoff; we’ve kind of converted our mushroom hating children too (even if they pick out the mushrooms). But for years, I have made a variation that involved sour cream, flour, worcestershire sauce, and even heavy cream.
I’ve changed things around for this recipe with all the same flavor, but without the dairy and without the gluten to make this a Paleo and Whole 30 compliant recipe.
Want to know the best part?
No one noticed. They all loved it. My husband was definitely happy because the slow cooker makes the beef so tender and flavorful.
How to make Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff:
Start off by gathering your simple ingredients:
- sirloin steak or stew beef
- white onion
- sliced mushrooms
- GF Tamari sauce or coconut aminos
- Red wine vinegar
- onion powder
- garlic powder
- canned coconut cream (or full fat canned coconut milk)
- arrowroot starch
A few notes:
- This is a simple set and dump recipe for the slow cooker! No need to cook the beef or even saute it ahead of time
- I use Kettle and Fire Beef Bone Broth in this recipe to give the recipe the ultimate rich flavor and also provide extra nutrients.
- The red wine vinegar + coconut aminos (or GF Tamari) combo makes a salty/umami/tangy sauce that you will love!!
- To make this dish creamy, I use coconut cream. If you are unable to find coconut cream in your Asian section, you can also use the full fat coconut milk. The other ingredients mask any coconut taste in case you were wondering. Another important part about the coconut milk or cream is to wait to add it until the last hour. Let the other flavors of the dish cook together for the first 4-5 hours.
Can I make this in the Instant Pot?
Absolutely!! You can easily make this recipe in the Instant Pot. The biggest difference is that you will saute the onion and garlic ahead of time in the pot. Whisk together the broth, GF Tamari, and red wine vinegar. Pour over the beef and mushroom mixture and secure the lid.
Similar to the slow cooker method, after the beef is ready, remove the lid and then add the coconut cream/milk.
Serve over cauliflower rice for a complete meal! If not following a Paleo or Whole 30 diet, regular rice is fine. My kids enjoy this over pasta.
Looking for more Whole30 Instant Pot recipes? Check out my 50+ Whole30 Instant Pot Recipes!
Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff (Paleo, Dairy-Free, Whole 30)
- 1.5 lbs sirloin steak tips or lean stew beef cut into small pieces*
- 1/2 large white onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 10 oz sliced mushrooms
- 1 1/4 cup beef broth**
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos or GF tamari soy sauce
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup canned coconut milk or coconut cream
- 3 tbsp arrowroot starch***
- 2 tbsp water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- For your Slow Cooker:
- Place beef inside your slow cooker, and top with onions, mushrooms, and garlic.
- In a separate bowl, mix together broth, soy sauce, vinegar, onion powder, and garlic powder. Pour on top of beef and vegetables.
- Set your slow cooker to low and cook for 5 hours.
- At the five hour mark, add coconut cream.
- In a separate small bowl, mix together arrowroot starch and water. Add to slow cooker.
- Let simmer for another 30 mins - 1 hour or until sauce is thickened and beef is tender.
- Serve over cauliflower rice, or rice.
- For your Instant Pot:
- Select the saute function on your instant pot. Once hot, add about 1 tbsp olive oil or avocado oil to coat the bottom of your pan. Saute onions for about 2 minutes, then add garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Select cancel.
- Season your beef with garlic & onion powder, and a bit of salt and pepper. Place on top of the onion/garlic mixture.
- In a small bowl, mix together broth, coconut aminos, and vinegar. Pour on top of the meat. Add mushrooms.
Secure the lid to your Instant Pot. Cook on high pressure for 15 minutes. Use a natural release. After opening the lid, add in coconut milk or cream and stir. If it needs more heat to dissolve, select the saute function.
- Stir in arrowroot starch and water to thicken.
- Serve over cauliflower rice or zoodles.
*I highly recommend using sirloin tips, as they produce a much more tender meat
**My favorite Beef Broth is from Kettle and Fire (link above). The only shelf sustaining bone broth on the market!
***Arrowroot starch can be found in most grocery stores and is a thickening agent that acts similar to corn starch or flour.