A real holiday treat with the comforting delicious flavors of gingerbread and pumpkin: the perfect healthy breakfast the whole family can enjoy!
It’s DECEMBER!!! The holidays are here!!! WHOOT WHOOT!!!! Can you tell how much I love Christmas?!?! I think this post is perfect for the day after Thanksgiving for a few reasons:
- They will make your house smell amazing with all the spicy flavors of the season
- They are healthy, it’s a nice balance after that big turkey dinner you just consumed
- You have a long weekend to enjoy, and these muffins are begging you to make them!!
- The holidays start to get a bit busy and hectic, make these muffins and freeze them to enjoy on those busy mornings.
Don’t they just look adorable and tasty too? My whole family loved these last weekend. I was able to use them for a few different morning breakfasts, and packed them with us to take to the airport when we had a super early flight. Portable = AWESOME. They were simple to throw together by whisking together wet ingredients, and adding them to the dry. Oh, and make sure to add the pecan streusel topping! For recipes with almond flour, I like to fill my muffin tins up pretty high, so the muffins are a decent size:
Gingerbread and molasses are my favorite flavors during December, and I love to use them for breakfast. These little delights pair perfectly with a cup of tea, or coffee if that’s your thing. They happen to be gluten-free, grain-free, and Paleo too which make them a lighter and healthier option. No need to tell your non-grain-free people, everyone will love them!
Grain-Free Gingerbread Pumpkin Muffins with Pecan Streusel
For the Muffins:
- 2 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1 tsp pumpkin spice
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp all spice
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup coconut palm sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup almond or flax milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 c coconut oil melted
For the Streusel:
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1 tbsp coconut oil melted
- 1 tbsp almond flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350.
- Generally grease a 12 muffin cup tin with coconut oil (no need to use liners)
- In a large bowl, mix together your dry ingredients: almond flour, spices, baking powder, and coconut sugar.
- In a separate bowl, mix together your wet ingredients: molasses, milk, eggs, pumpkin, and oil. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix well using a wooden spoon, using a rubber spatula to scrape down the sides. Do not over mix, but ensure all dry pockets are well blended.
- Using a spoon, fill each muffin cup about 3/4 full.
- Make the streusel topping. Mix together melted coconut oil with sugar, flour, and pecans. Spoon about 2 tsp on top each muffin.
Bake for 20 mins, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove pan from oven, let sit inside the pan for another 5 minutes before removing each muffin.
These muffins should be stored in an airtight container. They are perfect frozen and de-frosted for future use!