Fire up the grill, call all of your friends over, and enjoy an evening outside eating this delicious Grilled Chicmichurri Chicken! You’ll love the fresh herb chimichurri sauce that comes together so easily with just a few ingredients. The addition of grilled potatoes is icing on the cake!
Come summertime, and I am all about swapping out my go-to chicken recipes for some delicious grilled chicken! Lean, versatile, healthy, and an easy upgrade to skillet, Instant Pot, or oven prepared chicken. Such a small change in effort, grilled chicken, but the results bring about pure joy and delight!
Chimichurri sauce is one fantastic addition to summertime flavor. It has a few of my favorite things in life: fresh cilantro, parsley, red wine vinegar, red onion, garlic, lemon juice, and a hint of spice. All blended up in a food processor or blender to make a sauce that tastes delicious on just about everything. Especially grilled chicken, and potatoes! As a nutritionist, I am all about using fresh herbs as much as possible in recipes. It boosts the nutritional value in the most flavorful way!
Although my beloved Grilled Rosemary and Balsamic Chicken remains a staple in my house, this Chimichurri Grilled Chicken is my husband’s favorite. Let’s get started!
Prepare the Chimichurri Chicken and Potatoes
- To prepare the dinner, start by making the chimichurri a bit in advance to marinate the chicken. In a food processor, blend the herbs, garlic, onion, vinegar, and oil until smooth.
- Reserve half of the sauce for dipping and marinate the chicken in the remaining sauce. Pot holes in the chicken with a fork to allow the marinade to penetrate the chicken.
- For the potatoes, peel, and cut into slices. Boil for 8 minutes, remove, and run cool water over the potatoes. Pat dry and brush with oil.
Grill the Chimichurri Chicken and Potatoes to perfection!
- The best way to ensure your chicken is perfectly juicy is to marinate for at least a few hours, and use a thermometer!
- Whether you have a charcoal grill or propane grill, pull off the chicken at 160 degrees F.
- Let it rest for 10 minutes before slicing. This allows the juices to really soak in and not escape from the plate.
- Grill the potatoes in a vegetable grill basket, or place on foil. Flip once and grill for a total of 12-14 minutes.
Serve with additional chimichurri for dipping. You should have plenty of extra chimichurri that you can store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks for later use.
Grilled Chimichurri Chicken and Potatoes
Grilled Chimichurri Chicken and Potatoes is fresh, flavorful and so simple to make on the grill! You'll love this complete meal that comes together easily with 15 minutes of prep time.
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 tsp chopped red hot chili pepper*
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 4 large chicken breasts
- 4 Russet potatoes skinned and cut into slices
To make the chimichurri sauce, blend all ingredients into a food processor or blender for a few minutes. Sauce will be chunky, but make sure ingredients are thoroughly blended.
Poke holes in the chicken with a fork, and add chicken and half of the sauce to a container or plastic bag. Reserve the other half for dipping. Coat the chicken with sauce. Marinate for at least 1 hour, but up to 12 hours.
Prepare the potatoes for grilling by peeling and slicing. Add to boiling water for 8 minutes. Remove the potatoes and drain the water, run cold water over the potatoes. Pat dry, brush with oil, and season with some salt and pepper.
Heat up your grill, and add chicken and potatoes. Cook chicken for 5-8 minutes per side or until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 160 degrees F. Potatoes will cook about the same time as the chicken, and will need to be turned halfway through grilling.
Let chicken rest for 10 minutes before slicing. Serve hot with reserved dipping sauce.
You can also use crushed red pepper flakes in place of red hot chili peppers, or omit it all together.