A tangy, lemon-y, quinoa salad packed with protein and flavor! Cherry tomatoes, red onion, cucumber, feta cheese, arugula and chickpeas are the cast of characters that round out this deliciously fresh and tasty salad that makes a perfect lunch or side dish.
I am introducing you all to my first ever quinoa salad creation, and one I’ve been making for years! It has always been a crowd pleaser, and one that I have made for many friends and family over the years. I recently made this salad for a few friends as a side dish for a dinner out at the pool. It is easily portable, simple to make, and a salad that everyone enjoys! I’ve combined greek salad with the added protein of chickpeas, and then topped this with the bitter, spicy, and crunch of arugula.
This is a simple dish that can also be used for several lunch servings during the week. To keep this salad tasting fresh and delicious, I keep the components separate. I like to make a batch of quinoa on Sunday, and keep in a separate container. The salad dressing can be whipped up in a few minutes and also kept separately. When I’m ready to pack my lunch, the other toppings can be easily chopped and thrown together in less than 5 minutes.
Mediterranean Quinoa Salad with Lemon Pepper Vinaigrette
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa rinsed
- 2 cups water or vegetable broth
- 6 inch cucumber piece
- 2/3 cup chopped red onion
- 1 cup chopped cherry or grape tomatoes
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 can chickpeas/garbanzo beans
- 2 cups loosely packed arugula
- 1/2 cup olive oil or salad oil
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp lemon pepper
- Begin by making your quinoa. Combine broth or water and quinoa into a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for approximately 15 minutes or until quinoa has absorbed liquid and is fluffy. Set aside to cool and remove lid.
- Prepare your vegetables by chopping cucumber, onion, and tomatoes into small pieces. Place inside a large bowl.
- Rinse and drain chickpeas, add to vegetable bowl.
- Once quinoa is cooled, add to vegetables.
- Mix in arugula and feta.
- Make the dressing by whisking together remaining ingredients. Use approximately 3/4 cup of the dressing (or add more to your liking) and pour over salad.
- Serve immediately.
This recipe tastes best when served within a few hours of assembling. If using throughout the week for several meals, follow my tip above the recipe by separating the ingredients.