Hello delicious lunch! I can probably think of 500 ways to make quinoa, but my favorite is for lunch in a salad. I’m using some delicious strawberries for this one, since we are in peak strawberry season for the next few months. In case you haven’t noticed, arugula is my favorite vegetable. It’s one of the foods I eat everyday because I love it. The sweetness of the strawberry pairs nicely with the bitterness and spice of arugula in this recipe. I also whipped up a quick orange balsamic vinaigrette that required no food processor. The avocados and pecans are an added source of protein and healthy fats.
A quick note about my quinoa salads. I often make them for lunch and the portion is just for me. In the recipe, it will have around 4 servings. If you are serving this for dinner or to more than one person, than use my recipe as noted below. If this is intended to last you for lunch for a few days, keep all the ingredients separated until ready to use. It can be easily thrown together with the right ingredients for under 2 minutes. This keeps the salad from getting soggy and less desirable. Especially with avocados! You don’t want them sitting in a salad bowl for a few days.
Strawberry and Arugula Quinoa Salad
- 1 cup of dried quinoa
- 2 cups water or broth
- 1 cup of chopped fresh strawberries
- 2 cups of fresh arugula
- 1 avocado chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped peans
- 1/3 cup crumbled goat cheese or feta
- For the dressing:
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup basalmic vinaigrette
- Juice of one small orange or 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp honey
- Bring water or broth and quinoa to a boil.
- Cover and reduce temperature to low.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes until the water is completely absorbed and quinoa is fluffy.
- Prepare the salad on a large plate by layering the arugula first.
- Top with quinoa.
- Add strawberries, avocado, pecans, and goat cheese.
- To make the dressing: combine all ingredients into a small jar or tupperware. Shake until the ingredients are blended nicely.
- Drizzle dressing over the salad and lightly toss.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
*If serving for one person, please see my above note on how to keep your leftovers.