Delicious chicken cooked in butter balsamic and fresh tomato sauce topped with basil and gooey mozzarella.
I’m fresh off a trip to Italy and have fresh tomato sauce recipes in my head. All I can think about is tomatoes, and cheese, and basil, and balsamic!! You get the idea about the inspiration of this dish. I am also dreaming about pizza, gelato, proscuitto and salami too…..But we’ll save that for another time 😉
I love this dish because of it’s simplicity of course, but also the butter and balsamic really make this sauce fantastic. Definitely some comfort food here. Because sometimes in life, we just need a little butter. And fresh summer cherry tomatoes.
So let’s get started. You’ll begin by heating up your pan and adding some butter (1/2 stick) and garlic (make sure the pan is very hot before you add the butter and garlic). And when I say some butter, it’s kind of a lot by the time this recipe is finished. No worries. You’re only having a portion of the recipe and will not consume an entire stick of butter yourself. The butter will turn a nice golden color very quickly. This is a good thing. Let the garlic get flavorful for only about a minute. Add the chicken, and sauté on each side for just a few minutes. The chicken will not be cooked through, but we will reserve it for later. Now add the rest of the butter. (Sorry, I realized I didn’t take any pictures of these first few steps for you).
Add all of your cherry tomatoes to the pan with butter. Cook for about 2-3 minutes and add a lid. You’ll cook for another 5-7 minutes until your tomatoes soften and can be mashed a little bit, it will look like this:
Add 2 tbsp of Balsamic Vinegar, and then place the chicken on top. At this point you’ll cover the the chicken with a lid and let it cook with the tomatoes for 2-3 minutes, or until it’s almost cooked all the way through. Now add your buffalo mozzarella. Once again, cover the chicken with a lid. Cook for another few minutes until the cheese is melted. Sprinkle some fresh basil, and drizzle the rest of your balsamic:
It’s ready to eat!! You’ll need to salt this up a bit, and add more balsamic to your liking. Serve hot. I served this to my kids with crusty bread and they loved it. I ate this on top of a bed of arugula myself without any starch. Pasta would also be perfect with this dish.
- 1 stick of salted butter, divided
- 3 large cloves of garlic, crushed
- 4 medium to large chicken breast
- 1.5 lbs of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 tbsp good quality balsamic vinegar
- 6 oz buffalo mozzarella cheese, cut into ¼ inch thick slices
- ½ cup fresh basil, chopped
- Salt to taste
- Begin by heating a large skillet pan to medium high heat.
- Once the pan is hot, add ½ stick of butter and crushed garlic.
- Simmer for about 1 minute until the garlic is fragrant and the butter is golden.
- Add chicken breast. Cook on each side for 2 minutes, until the chicken is golden. It will not be cooked through, set aside for later.
- Add the other half stick of butter to your pan.
- Add the cherry tomatoes and cook for about 2 minutes. Cover the pan, and cook the tomatoes for another 5-7 minutes or until the tomatoes are softened and can be pressed down to make a thick sauce.
- Mix in 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar and salt.
- Add the chicken back to the pan and cover.
- Cook for another 2-3 minutes or until chicken is almost cooked through.
- Place mozzarella slices on top of the chicken and cover. Simmer for another few minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Drizzle with remaining balsamic and add fresh basil.
- Serve warm on top of a salad, with crusty bread, or with pasta.