This yummy fall dish combines spiced chicken with a creamy toasted apple pecan sauce that the whole family will love! Only 1 pan, and 20 minutes is all you need for this simple weeknight dinner!
Apples, apples, apples, and more apples. Oh how I love fall!! Recently I bought a huge crate of organic honey crisp apples at my local farmer’s market, and have been creating new ways to cook with them, or just add them to anything. Salads, breakfasts, side dishes and now dinner. Apples are so versatile to provide that depth, texture, and taste to any fall dinner. Combining it with pecans is a winner winner, chicken dinner!! This savory & sweet chicken dinner is sure to be a hit with everyone, and is even elegant enough to serve to company.
I also love that this dish only requires ONE PAN. All the components are cooked in the same skillet. Making this dinner come together in about 20 minutes. I started off by combining a few spices together for a rub on the chicken while heating up my skillet. These spices are a blend of cumin, cinnamon, cardamom, and salt. Such a delicious compliment to the apples! You will sear the chicken on each side for a few minutes. It doesn’t necessarily have to cook all the way because you’ll throw it in the pan a bit later. Once the chicken is seared, set aside and cover with foil. Add the chopped pecans, apples, and crushed garlic.
This mixture will cook for about 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently and gathering up bits of the spices. Now add in the creamy part. I used coconut milk here as part of a dairy-free diet, but if that is not a requirement, feel free to use half and half or heavy cream. Continue to scrape the bottom of the pan for the bits and spices. Add the chicken back to the pan and cook completely for another 5 minutes.
Many options for a side dish here! My kids and hubby enjoyed their chicken on top of rice, I enjoyed mine with spaghetti squash. I also served with a side salad and my NEW FAVORITE fall dressing: Toasted Pecan Vinaigrette. It was a delicious saturday night dinner at home!
Hope you all enjoy!!
Creamy Spiced Apple Pecan Chicken (Dairy-Free, Paleo, Whole30)
- 3-4 large chicken breasts
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp olive oil divided
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 2 large apples peeled and diced into 1/2 inch chunks
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1.5 cups full fat coconut milk*
- 1 tbsp arrowroot starch
- 1 tbsp water
- Begin by heating a large skillet to medium high heat.
- Prepare your chicken breasts by pounding them to be thinner, and possibly cutting them in half (if they are HUGE).
- In a small bowl stir together the cumin, cinnamon, cardamom and salt. Coat or rub the chicken with spices.
- Add 2 tbsp olive oil to your pan once hot, and begin to cook the chicken. Sear on each side for 2-3 minutes (depending on thickness of chicken). Chicken does not need to be fully cooked, but almost cooked. Set aside and cover with foil.
- Place remaining olive oil in the skillet and add garlic, apples, and pecans. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until apples soften and pecans are fragrant. Continue to scrape the bottom of the pan to collect spices from the chicken.
- Pour in coconut milk, and scrape the bottom of the pan to flavor the sauce. Add Chicken back to the skillet.
- In a small bowl, mix together arrowroot starch and water. Pour into the pan.
- Cover with a lid and let the mixture cook for another 3-5 minutes, or until the mixture is thickened and chicken is cooked through.
- Serve immediately over rice, greens, or vegetable noodles.
*If not following a dairy-free diet, you can substitute coconut milk with half and half.