This very simple slow cooker cashew chicken is full of flavor with crispy chicken that is tender on the inside. For all of my busy readers out there who love the slow cooker, here is another tasty one for you that the whole family will enjoy!
I have made this Paleo and GF friendly by adding Arrowroot Powder and Coconut Aminos. For ketchup: an organic ketchup, homemade ketchup like this one is great, or you can be super simple and just toss together some tomato paste with vinegar. If you do not follow a Paleo diet, soy sauce, ketchup, and flour are all fine with this recipe. I told you it was easy!
This slow cooker recipe is slightly different than the rest in that you will need to take a few extra minutes to prepare your chicken. But I promise you, the results are worth it!
Start by cutting up your chicken breasts into small pieces. You’ll coat them with flour or Arrowroot Powder (can be found in the health food section of most grocery stores). This helps create a thicker sauce, but also gives the chicken a slightly crispy texture. You’ll sauté the chicken for only 1 minute on each side (you want to make sure it’s raw on the inside):
Whip together the simple marinade. The key ingredient (besides the cashews) in this recipe is the Chili Garlic Sauce. I realize that most brands are not 100% Paleo, but here is a Paleo version that I have made with great success!! And if you love Asian food like I do, it’s a perfect one to keep in your fridge and make with other recipes. I also found some in my Asian Section at my local grocery store in Germany. If Germany has it, you are bound to find it in almost any store:
Place the chicken and the sauce into your slow cooker. Set the crockpot to low and cook for 4-6 hours. The slow cooker will do it’s magic thing and make this chicken tender on the inside, but still leave it crispy on the outside. So. Darn. Good. Chop up some cashews and add at the very end. I do like to mix the cashews in with my sauce and chicken. I also topped with red bell pepper and green onion. Serve with broccoli and a bed of spring lettuce. My non-Paleo friends can serve this along side some rice.
- 1 lb chicken breasts cut into small 1-2 inch bite sized pieces
- 2 tbsp Arrowroot Powder or flour
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- ¼ cup coconut aminos or soy sauce
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp chili garlic sauce
- 3 tbsp ketchup
- ¼ cup fresh squeezed oranges
- 2 tbsp honey
- ¾ cup chopped cashews
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- Place Arrowroot Powder or flour in a medium sized bowl. Add raw bite sized chicken breast and toss to coat each piece.
- Heat up a large skillet and add coconut oil.
- Once hot, add chicken and cook on each side for only 1 minute or until slightly golden (keep raw on the inside).
- Mix together, coconut aminos or soy sauce, vinegar, chili garlic sauce, ketchup, orange juice, and honey in a small bowl.
- Add chicken and sauce to slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours or until the chicken is nice and tender.
- Add cashews and red bell pepper.
- Serve immediately.