Beef Bahn Mi Bowls have all the yummy flavor of the Vietnamese sandwich but in bowl form! You’ll love the flavorful beef, pickled vegetables, and sriracha mayo on top. This flavorful meal is perfect for a busy weeknight with only 20 minutes of cook time!
What is Bahn Mi?
Bahn Mi is otherwise known as the perfect sandwich. A toasty baguette smeared with spicy mayo, and layered with pickled vegetables and flavorful meat. Fresh cilantro is also added for additional flavor! Bahn Mi is translated to Vietnamese bread.
Not too long ago, a reader reached out to ask how she can make her beloved sandwich with a healthier twist. So here we are! We’re taking all of the same flavors, but arranging it in bowl form. My variation is Keto friendly, low carb, Paleo, and Whole30 as well.
Bahn Mi in Bowl form!
You’ll love the complex flavors and layers of this recipe. As a nutritionist, I love to maximize flavors using real ingredients, fresh herbs, and even kicking things up with some spice! We do exactly that with these bowls. The pickled veggies are a fun way to deliver on some extra tang.
How to make Beef Bahn Mi Bowls
Here is what we need to make these Bahn Mi Bowls:
- Veggies: the pickled veggies are such a key component here! I use cucumber, red onion, radishes, and carrots. Feel free to omit any of these if you’re not a fan. You will also need rice vinegar, water, and a pinch of salt to pickle the veggies.
- Beef: I used ground beef in this for ultimate ease! You can also use more of a shaved beef, or thinly sliced steak. I just love the convenience of ground beef. Feel free to swap in ground pork or turkey as well.
- Beef flavor and sauce: to cook the beef, you will need garlic cloves, fresh ginger, coconut aminos, fish sauce, and chili garlic sauce or sriracha.
- Spicy sauce: the spicy sauce on top is a mixture of mayonnaise, sriracha, and lime juice
- Other Bowl ingredients: cauliflower rice, cilantro, sesame seeds, and pickled jalapenos (optional!)
These bowls come together so easily by starting with pickling the veggies. Slice the veggies thinly and let soak for at least 1 hour. You can also do this overnight, or earlier in the day. Drain the mixture before assembling the bowls.
Stir together the mayo with sriracha and lime, and set aside.
Saute riced cauliflower in a skillet until warmed and softened. Divide into 4 bowls.
Brown the ground beef with ginger and garlic. Then stir in the beef ingredients: coconut aminos, fish sauce, and chili garlic sauce. Top each bowl of cauliflower rice with beef, then pickled veggies, and drizzle the creamy sauce on top. You can also add in the cilantro, sesame seeds, and jalapenos here!
How do I meal prep these bowls?
Beef Bahn Mi Bowls are perfect for meal prep! Here is how to make ahead and enjoy all week. You can store the beef, cauliflower rice, and pickled veggies together in one meal prep container. Keep the sriracha mayo separate. Alternatively, store each component separately, and combine when ready to eat!
Other easy and healthy bowl recipes you will love!
- Hibachi Steak Bowls
- Ground Turkey Taco Bowls
- Instant Pot Egg Roll in a Bowl
- Korean Beef Bowls
- Tequila Lime Shimp Bowls
- Southern Pulled Pork Bowls
Beef Bahn-Mi Bowls
These Beef Bahn-Bi Bowls are just like your favorite Vietnamese sandwich in bowl form! You'll love that they are loaded with flavor and are ready in less than 30 minutes.
- 1 cup thinly sliced cucumber
- 1/2 medium sized thinly sliced red onion
- 5 thinly sliced radishes
- 1 thinly sliced (or shredded) large carrot
- 3/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1-2 tbsp avocado oil or olive oil
- 16 oz cauliflower rice (frozen or fresh)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp finely chopped ginger
- 1.5 lbs ground beef
- 1/3 cup coconut aminos
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp chili garlic sauce or sriracha
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp sriracha
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- Sesame seeds
- Pickled jalapeños
Before cooking the bowls, pickle the vegetables. Toss veggies in a large bowl and add vinegar, water, and salt. Let sit for at least 1 hour. Drain the vinegar and water.
Heat a large skillet to medium high heat. Once hot, add in 1 tbsp oil, toss in the cauliflower rice and cook until warmed and softened, about 5 minutes. Divide into 4 bowls.
Keep the skillet hot, add in a bit more oil if needed. Toss in the garlic and ginger, let sauté for 2 minutes. Then stir in ground beef. Cook until browned and break up the ground beef using a wooden spoon. Stir in the coconut aminos, fish sauce, and chili garlic sauce. Remove from heat.
Meanwhile, make the sauce. Stir together mayo, sriracha, and lime juice.
Spoon the meat mixture over each of the bowls. Top with pickled veggies and sauce. Garnish with cilantro, sesame seeds, and pickled jalapeños (if using!).