This post is sponsored by my friends at Cali’Flour Foods.
Chicken Enchilada Casserole is loaded with layers of flavor and a creamy green chili enchilada sauce! You will love this low-carb variation that includes a bubbly cheese topping. This Enchilada Casserole is low carb and Keto, and still loved by all!
Enchiladas will forever hold a special place in my heart. Ever since I was a kid, enchiladas have always been my “go-to” meal to order at a Mexican restaurant. They were also one of the first dinners I learned to make! While I love my Beef Enchilada Bake, I definitely wanted to create a chicken version that was one I grew up eating.
My Enchilada recipe has certainly changed over the years. Today I am giving you my Wholesomelicious variation: healthier, creative, and still outstandingly delicious! As a nutritionist, I love taking my childhood favorite recipes and lightening them up for my family to enjoy. These Chicken Enchiladas are no exception!
Low Carb and Keto Friendly Enchiladas
Low carb and keto enchiladas may sound crazy, but they are definitely doable thank you to Cali’Flour Flatbread! I used flatbread in place of tortillas. I love these flatbreads as a low carb option with only 2 net carbs per serving!
After getting the flatbread nice and crispy in the oven, I cut into small squares instead of wrapping in a tortilla.
For the sauce, I used a green enchilada verde sauce and mixed with creme fraiche. I love this combination as a sour cream enchilada sauce! Creme fraiche is basically a mix between cream cheese and sour cream. You can also feel free to substitute with one of those options.
How to make Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Use a rotisserie chicken, or cook chicken breast in the oven for 25 minutes at 350 degrees F
- Prepare the flatbread “tortillas” by placing on a baking sheet in the oven with parchment paper. Once crispy, cut into squares
- Meanwhile, make the enchilada sauce. On the stovetop, heat the enchilada verde sauce. Once hot, stir in the creme fraiche until “melted”
- Assemble the casserole with flatbread on the bottom of a casserole dish. Now top with 1/3 of the sauce and chicken. Repeat for 2 more layers.
- Sprinkle Monterey Jack cheese or pepper jack cheese on top and bake for 30 minutes until bubbly.
Serve with cilantro, avocado, jalapeños, salsa, and any other Mexican toppings you love! I also recommend these to serve along with the enchilada casserole:
- Enchilada Sauce: I use a hatch green chili enchilada sauce that has only a handful of real food ingredients. You can feel free to swap in your own personal favorite enchilada sauce. Red sauce also works well! Just check ingredient labels and carb count if following a Keto diet.
- Creme Fraiche: You can also substitute in cream cheese or sour cream as mentioned above
- Protein: feel free to substitute with carnitas or even beef in place of chicken.
Store: Store in the fridge for up to 5 days. You can also freeze for up to 3 months!
Reheating: It is best to reheat this enchilada casserole in the oven with a lid on. If refrigerated, bake at 350 F for 25 minutes, then serve. If frozen, bake for 40 minutes.
Chicken Enchilada Casserole (low carb, Keto)
This low carb Chicken Enchilada Casserole is layered with a creamy green chili enchilada sauce, chicken, and diced up cauliflower tortillas. This dinner is sure to be a huge hit with the entire family!
- 1.5 lbs chicken breast*
- 10 Cali'Flour flatbreads
- 24 oz green chili enchilada sauce
- 1/2 cup creme fraiche
- 2/3 cup shredded Monterey Jack or pepperjack cheese
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped cilantro (optional for serving)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place chicken breast on a baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes, or until cooked all the way through. Remove and chop or shred. Alternatively, use the instant pot to prepare chicken breast, or a rotisserie chicken (about 3 cups shredded chicken)
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the flatbreads on the parchment paper and bake at 400 degrees F for 10 minutes until crispy. Let cool for a few minutes, then cut into 1 inch squares.
While chicken and flatbreads are baking, make the enchilada sauce. In a saucepan, heat the enchilada sauce over medium heat. Once hot, stir in the creme fraiche and let it "melt". Remove from heat.
Assemble the casserole in a 9×13 baking dish. Start with 1/3 of the cut flatbread across the bottom of the dish. Now pour on 1/3 of the enchilada sauce, then 1/3 of the chicken. Repeat for 2 more layers. Top with jack cheese and transfer to the oven.
Bake for 25 minutes at 375 degrees F. Remove from the oven and let sit for about 5 minutes before cutting into squares and serving. Top with cilantro.