Simple and tasty vegan meal that comes together quickly with red peppers and chickpeas! Even burger lovers will enjoy this vegetarian version. These delicious patties can be frozen and de-frosted for easy lunches or dinners. Kid and husband approved!
In my former vegetarian days, frozen veggie burgers were one of my favorite easy dinners & lunches. It wasn’t until just a few years ago, I discovered how easy and delicious they were homeade! You may have a few big or little people you cook for that may be on the fence about this one. But trust me on this, have them try it.
My little Miss Carbivore absolutely loves these; it’s one of her favorite dinners. The non-bean eating hunky husband enjoys these as well (he does say they are not as filling for him so just make sure you provide your large appetites with a few veggie burgers). These are often our “go to” meal when it’s just me and the kids at dinner time. I love when I have leftovers to freeze and use for lunches or quick dinners on a later date.
I have several different variations of veggie burgers that I make. This one combines roasted red peppers and chickpeas. A quick and easy way to get the roasted red pepper taste is to use jarred pimentos or oil based red peppers from a jar. I didn’t have any on hand, but I’ve made them this way before and they turn out delicious. Here are the ingredients:
Chickpeas, fresh herbs, spices, red pepper, lemon, oats, and garlic. The oats help bind the burgers together. My gluten free friends can use gluten free oats, or you can also use quinoa to bind your burgers. You’ll throw the ingredients into a food processor, and pulse it all together:
The mixture will not be smooth, but very coarse and moldable (is that a word?) I then shape my burgers into a 3-4 inch diameter disc. I like to coat my burgers with panko to give a crunchy texture, but this is optional. I then sauté the burger on each side for about 5 minutes. I place them all in the oven, and let them bake for another 15 minutes until they are nice and crisp. Serve with salad, or on your favorite bread. I love mine with my Easy 1 minute Guacamole. Enjoy!
- 2 14 oz cans Chickpeas
- 1.5 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper or jarred roasted red peppers
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp minced onion
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs (optional for GF version)
- 2 tbsp. olive oil or coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas.
- If using a fresh red bell pepper, saute the bell pepper in a pan over medium high heat until softened. Let cool.
- Combine all ingredients (except panko) into a large food processor or blender.
- Pulse until oats are blended into mixture (about 30 seconds), keep the mixture chunky.
- Place panko onto a small plate.
- Warm up a pan to medium high heat and add olive oil or coconut oil.
- Using your hands, form patties out of 1/3-1/2 cup of the mixture into circles.
- Dip each patty into panko on both sides, place in pan.
- Cook for about 5 minutes each side, until the patties become slightly crispy.
- Transfer each patty to a cookie sheet.
- Bake for about 15 minutes.
- Serve with bread or salad with your favorite toppings.