You’ll love the creamy texture and flavor of this delicious lemon chicken and asparagus soup! It’s perfect to welcome spring, or anytime you are craving comfort food in a healthier variation! Recipe is also Paleo, Whole30 approved, Keto, and dairy-free.
Say HELLLLLOOOOOO to spring with this bowl of fresh goodness! I created this dish in honor of that chilly weather that might still linger during this time of year, and you’re not quite sure what to make for dinner. This soup is IT!!!! It’s kind of perfectly timed as I look out my window on this rainy April day.
It’s bursting with spring-y flavors such as lemon, basil, and of course asparagus. I even love this idea as a compliment to a brunch or Easter dinner.
Let’s just address the elephant in the room. I’ll let you know this soup is loaded with coconut milk. I *almost* put coconut in the title, but was hesitant because I didn’t want my non-coconut friends to skip out on this deliciousness.
Sooooooo, I suppose if that is you, well you made it this far and I want to tell you: you will love this soup. I can promise. I have a child who does not love coconut milk, and was all over this soup. It has a slight coconut taste, but it is also masked by the lemon and basil flavors which compliment the soup in the best ways possible! There is always an option to use half and half, and I give that variation in the recipe.
How to make Creamy Lemon Chicken and Asparagus Soup with Basil:
Gather up these simple ingredients:
- chicken breast or tenders
- avocado oil or olive oil
- asparagus stalks
- full fat canned coconut milk
- chicken broth
- salt and pepper
- fresh basil
We start by cutting our chicken into smaller chunks, then sautéing on the stove in a soup pot until browned.
Remove the chicken from the pot, add any additional oil if the pan is dry, and then toss in the garlic and asparagus. Cook until lightly browned and crispy.
Toss the chicken back into the pot. Now add in the coconut milk and chicken broth. Boost the heat to a soft boil, then reduce to a simmer for another 5-7 minutes. Just before serving, squeeze in lemon juice and stir in lemon zest. Sprinkle with some fresh basil!
On a busy weeknight, this recipe comes together very quickly. In less than 30 minutes, you can have dinner on the table. A heavy sprinkling of fresh basil is an absolute must!
Serving and Storing:
Sprinkle with sea salt and pepper to serve. I love to serve alongside a salad like my Shaved Brussels sprouts and Pear Salad.
This soup will hold up well in the fridge for up to one week. You can freeze, but the coconut milk consistency might be different when you thaw out.
Creamy Lemon Chicken and Asparagus Soup with Basil
- 1 lb chicken breast or tenders
- 3 tbsp avocado or olive oil divided
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 8 large asparagus stalks
- 2 14 oz cans full fat coconut milk
- 2-3 cups chicken broth
- Juice of 1 lemon about 1/4 cup
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- To prep this dish: chop your chicken breast or tenders into 1 inch chunks. Season with a bit of salt and pepper.
- Heat a large soup pot to medium high heat, once hot add in 1 tbsp avocado or olive oil. Add chicken to the pot, and cook for about 3-4 minutes until all sides are lightly golden (chicken may be undercooked inside). Set aside.
- While chicken is cooking, prepare your asparagus. Chop about 1/2 inch off each end. Slice the remaining stalk in 1 inch pieces.
Add in another tbsp oil to the soup pot, toss in garlic and asparagus. Cook for 8-10 minutes or until asparagus is crispy. Toss chicken back into the pot.
Add coconut milk and 2 cups broth to the pot. Check to see level of liquid, if you prefer a more liquid soup, add in an additional 1/2-1 cup broth. Heat to a soft boil, then reduce to low. Let simmer for 5-7 minutes, stirring frequently and letting flavors meld.
- Just before serving, add lemon juice and lemon zest to the pot. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place soup in individual bowls, garnish with fresh basil.