Pumpkin Chili has never tasted so good! This comforting bowl of chili makes a delicious fall meal, and is great to serve to guests. Flavored with two different peppers, spices, and a creamy texture everyone will love this variation! Paleo and Whole30 variations also included.
Are you on board the savory pumpkin recipes? I sure hope so, because I have something absolutely delicious to share with you! I am so glad I finally got around to posting this recipe. I created this Creamy Pumpkin Chicken Chili years ago while entertaining a group of friends for a scary movie night. They all absolutely loved it, and everyone immediately wanted the recipe. Since then, I have entered it (and won first place) in a chili cooking contest, have made it for many other guests over the years, and make it several times during the fall each year. I have several close friends who still claim this is their favorite recipe! And plenty who even make this in the spring.
Totally okay with that, too.
But here’s the thing…….What kept me from posting this recipe over the years, was that my original variation contains cream cheese to create this sour, and creamy texture. It’s pretty darn delicious. But since I have had a difficult time digesting dairy, I have generally keep it out of my diet completely. So while on Whole30 this past month, I figured I would come up with a way to enjoy it without the cream cheese. It wasn’t as good without the creamy texture, so I went ahead and added in something else…….
Coconut milk and nutritional yeast. And while the flavor is a bit different than the original, it is still so darn delicious!! And just in case you were wondering (I’m sure some of you are), no coconut taste whatsoever.
So friends, I am happy to give you a few options for this recipe. One with the cream cheese variation, and one without. This meal is sure to win over even the pickiest of eaters, and makes for a really fun chili variation for football season, and the fall in general. Don’t skimp on the garnishes!! I love mine topped with some cilantro, jalapeño, and plantain chips for a little crunch. For those not following a Paleo or Whole30 diet, also feel free to add in a can of Great Northern Beans.
Creamy Pumpkin Chicken Chili
- 2 tbsp avocado oil or olive oil
- 1.5 lbs chicken breast or 3 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 1 med onion chopped
- 2 jalapeño peppers chopped remove seeds to make it less spicy
- 2 poblano peppers chopped
- 2 tablespoons of chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 15 oz of diced tomatoes or 4 medium tomatoes chopped
- 1 15 oz can of pumpkin purée
- 2 small cans of diced green chili peppers
- 1 cup of chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup
full fat coconut milk or 1 8 oz package of cream cheese*optional but makes for a thicker and creamier chili
- Chopped cilantro shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack for garnish
- Begin by heating a large pot to medium high heat. Cut your raw chicken breasts in small chunks (or skip this and use pre-cooked chicken). Coat the pot with oil, toss in chicken and cook 3-4 minutes per side or until no longer pink. Set aside. Keep oil in pot (or add more if needed).
- Place onion in pot and cook for 3-4 minutes until fragrant. Add both poblano and jalapeño peppers. Cook for another 2-3 minutes until softened.
- Add chicken back to the pot. Coat chicken and vegetables with spices and salt. Add tomatoes, pumpkin, green chilis, and chicken broth and heat to medium high stirring for a few minutes to let flavors mix well.
- Reduce heat to low, and add coconut milk or cream cheese. Continue to stir until milk or cheese is well incorporated and creamy.
- Serve hot and garnish with fresh cilantro.
*If using the coconut milk, you can also add in 3 tbsp of nutritional yeast for a "cheesy" flavor.