Creamy Salsa Verde Enchilada Sauce with chicken and layers of corn tortillas makes this recipe your new favorite way to make enchiladas!
I used to order enchiladas every time I went to a Mexican restaurant, but I just can’t anymore. These enchiladas have completely ruined me. These are everything I’ve ever wanted in an enchilada dish, and every other version just pales in comparison. So what makes these so good??
Everything, but let’s start with the sauce. Salsa verde, fresh cilantro, a little lime juice, chopped green chiles, and some cream cheese to give it the perfect creamy and slightly sour taste:
The corn tortillas are chopped into squares, and made crispy on the stovetop:
And then we layer. Beginning with some sauce on the bottom, some crispy tortillas, more sauce, shredded chicken, and repeat:
Finally top with some shredded cheese, and bake until all bubbly and delicious. Serve with avocado, and more cilantro.
Creamy Salsa Verde Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- 2 tbsp olive oil or coconut oil
- 22 oz corn tortillas or 20 small corn tortillas
- 24 oz salsa verde sauce*
- 1 4 oz can diced green chiles
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice juice of half lime
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken or 1 lb chicken breast shredded
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
- Heat up a large skillet to medium high heat. While pan is getting hot, chop tortillas into 1 inch squares. Add oil to pan, and add tortillas. Cook tortillas until nice and crispy on both sides (about 10 minutes total). Remove from heat and set aside.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce. Heat up salsa verde, chilies, cilantro, and lime juice in a small saucepan. Once hot, add cream cheese and allow the cheese to melt until sauce reaches a creamy consistency.
- Grease a 9x13 inch pan. Assemble your casserole by adding 1/2 cup sauce on the bottom, 1/3 of tortilla cubes, 2/3 cup chicken, and another 1/2 cup sauce. Repeat for 2 more layers, ending with tortillas on top. Add any leftover sauce, and top with shredded cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly and golden brown.
- Serve with any toppings such as avocado, salsa, onion, etc.
Use any brand here, I do like the Trader Joe's Salsa Verde in a jar.