Moist and perfectly sweetened muffins that have all the taste of banana bread with a maple pecan twist! A grain-free healthy breakfast or snack that the whole family will love. Paleo and Gluten-Free!
Happy breakfast!!! My current obsession is everything involving maple, pecans, and bananas. Absolutely loving this flavor combo in the fall!! So it comes as no surprise that we most definitely need a muffin recipe that can satisfy my cravings.
Muffins you guys, I swear by them for many reasons. I have 3 eaters in my house who love a good pastry. But I don’t love all the junk and sugar inside typical muffins! That’s why these are the perfect solution. These muffins taste just like a bite of banana bread, but infused and sweetened with maple syrup and topped with pecan streusel. I mean, it’s very dessert like without being dessert.
How to make Grain-Free Maple Pecan Banana Bread Muffins
These little muffins are not only packed with flavor, but with added nutrition.
I use almond meal in place of traditional flour as a grain-free solution. Adding pecans and coconut oil enhances the nutrition with healthy fats, but also gives a buttery and moist flavor! These muffins are simple to make and can easily be done on a weekend.
- We start by simply mixing together the dry ingredients with the wet, no mixer required, and fill your muffin tin almost all the way.
- Add a simple streusel of more pecans, coconut sugar, and coconut oil
- Bake for 20 minutes.
Storing and Freezing
Other reasons I love muffins is for convenience. I can bake a batch that will last us for 3-4 breakfasts throughout the week on super busy mornings. I store my muffins in the freezer and pull them out the night before, or pop them in the microwave for about 20 seconds in the morning. They will last for up to 3 months in the freezer. I think this is the absolute best way to store them! If you literally have no time in the morning for breakfast, grab 1-2 (even while frozen), and they’ll be ready to eat in no time
Because my kids also love these in their lunch, I can place a frozen muffin in their lunchbox that will be defrosted in no time.
Enjoy with a cup of tea or coffee for a delicious and filling snack in the afternoon!
Grain-Free Maple Pecan Banana Bread Muffins
- 2 cups blanched almond flour
- 2 tbsp tapioca starch or arrowroot starch
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans divided
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil + 1 tbsp divided
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 very ripe bananas mashed
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup dairy free milk almond, flax, cashew, etc
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp coconut or palm sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Generously grease a 12 cup muffin tin with coconut oil (or line with muffins papers and use a non-stick spray).
Combine flour, tapioca starch, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, and 1/2 cup pecans. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk or beat together coconut oil, mashed banana, vanilla, maple syrup, milk, and eggs. Slowly fold into dry ingredients and mix until well combined (batter will be thick).
- Spoon mixture in tins or muffin cups, about 3/4 cup full.
In a small bowl, combine remaining chopped pecans and coconut sugar with 1 tbsp coconut oil. Spoon on top of the muffins.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Muffins can be stored at room temperature in an air tight container for up to 3 days, or stored in the freezer.