A salad packed with all of your favorite things! Grilled honey mustard chicken, avocado, bacon, eggs, onion, and tomatoes. A simple and absolutely delicious dinner any time of year.
So I’ve been telling you all about the dinner rut I’ve been in the past month. I’m slowly coming out. I finally have my act together with a long list of dinners to make over the next few months, and I’m super excited to share them with you! Summer is still the season to enjoy salads and the grill, so we’ll start with this one. This honey mustard cobb salad beats any delicious salad you enjoy at a restaurant, and contains only simple and wholesome ingredients. The honey mustard sauce only has 5 ingredients, and doubles as a marinade. You don’t even have to marinate long, I only had time for 1 hour before it was time to toss on the grill.
I guess this would be a good time to tell you a little secret. I don’t grill. EVER. My husband is not the cook in the family, but I always make him grill. It works out perfectly because that gives me plenty of time to prep side dishes, or in this case, assemble the salad ingredients. I already had cooked bacon on hand from breakfast earlier that day, but this would be the time to prepare the bacon and eggs. The sliced avocado, tomato, and red onion is a MUST.
The good news is, this simple dinner can be made any time of year! On days where you don’t feel like grilling, you can easily prepare the chicken in a hot skillet. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes per side, and voila!!!
For a kid friendly variation….My kids love anything grilled, so that makes things easy. They also love salad, but not everything in this salad. I topped their salad with cucumbers, almonds, carrots, and of course, bacon. If salad is not your kids’ thing, try a pasta or rice and top the chicken with honey mustard sauce.
Grilled Honey Mustard Chicken Cobb Salad
- For the Dressing/Marinade:
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- For the Salad:
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 8 cups mixed greens
- 1 cup chopped cherry tomatoes
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 red onion sliced
- 1 avocado sliced
- 4 slices bacon
- 1/2 cup almonds optional
- Salt to taste
- Begin by making the marinade and sauce. Whisk together all ingredients in a bowl. Pour half of the marinade into a large ziploc storage bag with the chicken. Reserve the remaining dressing and set aside. Marinade for at least 30 minutes, up to 24 hours.
- Prepare your grill and cook chicken for 5-7 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile, assemble the salad.
- Start by hard boiling the eggs. In a small saucepan place eggs at the bottom, and cover with enough water (about 2 cups). Bring to a rolling boil and then turn off heat. Let sit for 10-12 minutes on the burner in the water. Remove water and eggs. Rinse with cold water and crack the shell. Once cooled, slice into small pieces.
- Cook your bacon according to your liking (extra crispy is about 10 minutes total cook time).
- In a large bowl, start with greens. Add tomatoes, avocado, and onion. Top with bacon, eggs, and almonds (if using). Finally, add sliced chicken and drizzle with remaining dressing.