Instant Pot Borscht Soup is full of nutrients, flavor, and so perfectly easy to make in less than 30 minutes! You’ll love this classic Eastern European dish with an Instant Pot variation. You can make this soup with flavorful beef or a vegetarian option!
What is Borscht Soup?
Borscht Soup (Beet Soup) is a traditional Eastern European dish that is loaded with red beets, and yummy vegetables like cabbage, potatoes, onions, and fresh dill on top! It’s tangy, loaded with texture, and served with dallop of sour cream. Borscht soup can be served hot or cold; making it an ideal meal all year!
As a nutritionist, I love a veggie packed soup. Borscht is particularly special– a nutrient powerhouse! It’s loaded with antioxidants and fiber, and also a fantastic source of folate, B6, iron, and manganese. Beets also provide us with other healthy benefits like improved blood flow, and lower blood pressure.
When this reader request came in for a Borscht Soup recipe, I was happy to re-create this dish! Living in Europe for four years, I definitely had my share of delicious borscht recipes. Making this at home gave me some major travel nostalgia!
How to make Instant Pot Borscht Soup
We’re using my favorite appliance: the Instant Pot! So many of you love my Instant Pot Recipes. We’re hitting the easy button for this one!
Gather up these simple ingredients (scroll down to recipe card for measurements:
- Yukon gold potatoes
- Sirloin steak (optional)
- Tomato paste
- Red wine Vinegar
- Vegetable or beef broth
- Sour cream (optional)
- Fresh dill
- Start by prepping the veggies. I peeled my beets and used the attachment to my food processor to create grated beets. Dice up the onion, potato, carrots, and cabbage.
- Saute the onion and garlic in the Instant Pot. Now add in the beef (if using) and saute for another 3-5 minutes.
- Top with beets, carrots, potatoes, vinegar, tomato paste, and broth. Secure the lid and select manual (high pressure), and select 12 minutes. Use a quick release.
- Pour into into individual bowls and top with sour cream (if using) and fresh dill.
Can I make Borscht Soup Vegetarian?
Yes! You can enjoy a Vegan/Vegetarian version. It makes a fantastic detox soup! Omit the beef, and add in one extra beet and 12 oz sliced mushrooms. Use vegetable broth in place of beef broth.
Can I make this in the Slow Cooker?
Absolutely! Follow the same prep directions. Saute the onion, garlic, and beef together on the stovetop. Add them to the slow cooker and cook on low for 6 hours.
Other Instant Pot Soups you will enjoy!
Instant Pot Borscht Soup
Instant Pot Borscht Soup is an Eastern European staple that is loaded with red beets and vegetables! Enjoy this easy Instant Pot version that can be served hot or cold.
- 1 tbsp olive oil or avocado oil
- 1/2 large white onion (diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1.5 lbs top sirloin steak (cut into bite sized pieces)
- 2 medium red beets (peeled and grated)
- 3 cups diced Yukon gold potatoes
- 2 large carrots (peeled and diced)
- 3 cups sliced and chopped cabbage (red or green)
- 4 cups beef or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp sea salt (+ more to taste)
- 2 bay leafs
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh dill (for serving)
- 1/3 cup sour cream (optional)
Prep your vegetables if not already prepped. Select the saute function on the Instant Pot. Once hot, coat the with oil. Saute the onion and garlic for 2 minutes, then add in the beef sirloin. Continue to saute for another 3-5 minutes until browned. Select cancel.
Top the mixture with the remaining vegetables: beets, potatoes, carrots, and cabbage. Pour in the broth, vinegar, and tomato paste. Sprinkle in the salt and add the bay leaf. Secure the lid. Select manual (or high pressure), for 12 minutes.
Use a quick release. Once steam has released, open the lid.
Serve with a dallop of sour cream and fresh dill with sea salt to taste.
You can also serve cold during warmer months!