This Instant Pot breakfast casserole is so simple to prepare. Eggs, hash browns, red pepper and bacon combine for a delicious, nutritious breakfast frittata. Best of all? It’s ready in 30 minutes, and can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days, making it an amazing healthy meal prep breakfast option.
Breakfast casseroles are my favorite way to meal prep breakfast for the week, or to serve company. My Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole still remains one of my favorites, but recently, I was wanting to figure out a delicious way to make a frittata or breakfast casserole in my Instant Pot.
As a nutritionist, I love to make healthy recipes in the fastest way possible. And I am happy to report, an Instant Pot breakfast casserole is totally possible!
Yes, all of your dreams can come true in the Instant Pot. Have you fallen in love with your Instant Pot yet? So Easy! So Convenient, So Fast! AND the best……So One Pot and fewer dishes!!
How to make Instant Pot Egg and Hash Brown Casserole!
Here is what you will need to make this frittata in the Instant Pot:
- Milk or dairy-free milk
- Bell pepper
- Cheese or nutritional yeast
- Cilantro or green onion to garnish (optional)
This recipe comes together easily by sauteeing the bacon and potatoes using the saute function on the Instant Pot. In a pyrex bowl, or a metal bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk. Add in the bell pepper, onion, nutritional yeast or cheese, and stir in the potatoes and crumbled bacon.
Use a trivet insert for the Instant Pot. Pour in one cup of water. Place the bowl with the egg mixture on top, and secure the lid. Cook on high pressure for 18 minutes and use a quick release.
Tips and adaptations
- Some important notes on this recipe. You will need the trivet insert, and a bowl that can fit inside your Instant Pot. I used a Pyrex glass bowl, but even a metal bowl will work.
- You can use frozen hash browns, and let them saute a few minutes in the IP. Regular grated potatoes can also work!
- Nutritional yeast was also added for “cheesy” flavor, but you can use regular shredded cheddar if not following a dairy free diet (about 1/2 cup).
- Want to change up the vegetables? No problem! Mushrooms taste fantastic in here, so do tomatoes.
- Sausage or ham can also be used in place of bacon.
- This breakfast can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days. A great recipe to enjoy throughout the week!
Other healthy breakfast recipes you will love!
Instant Pot Egg and Hash Browns Breakfast Casserole
This Instant Pot breakfast casserole is so simple to prepare. Eggs, hash browns,red pepper, and bacon combine for a delicious, nutritious breakfast frittata. Best of all? It’s ready 30 minutes, and can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days,making it an amazing healthy meal prep breakfast option.
- 6 slices bacon nitrate free
- 1.5 cups shredded potatoes or frozen hash browns
- 6 eggs whisked
- 3 tbsp full fat coconut milk
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast* optional for cheesy flavor
- 1 tsp sea salt + more to taste
- 1/2 red bell pepper diced
- 2 tbsp green onion diced
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro optional for garnish
Begin by selecting the saute function on your Instant Pot. Coat the bottom of your Instant Pot with cooking spray. Cook your bacon until crispy to your liking. You can also chop the bacon into pieces before cooking. Remove bacon to paper towels, and leave some of the bacon grease.
Now add the potatoes to the pot, saute for another 4-5 minutes or until potatoes are slightly cooked. Set aside with crumbled bacon.
In a glass or metal bowl that can fit inside your Instant Pot (I used a pyrex glass bowl), whisk together eggs, milk, nutritional yeast (if using), salt, bell pepper, and onion. Stir in bacon and potatoes. You can also use a springform pan.
Pour 1 cup of water in the bottom of your Instant Pot. Place the Instant Pot trivet with handles facing up on top of the water. Now place your egg dish on top of the trivet. Secure the lid.
Set the Instant Pot to manual function, and cook on high pressure for 18 minutes. Use a quick release. Ensure all steam has been released before removing lid.
Serve hot and garnish with cilantro (if using). You can store recipe in the fridge for up to 5 days, or freeze for several weeks.
*Nutritional yeast has a cheesy flavor and can be found in most grocery stores. You can also use 1/2 cup cheddar cheese in it’s place if not following a dairy-free diet.