This loaded broccoli potato soup is everything you love on a cold night! Made almost entirely of vegetables, rich and creamy, and so ridiculously simple! Only 10 minutes of prep time is all you need to make this soup. Make a vegan variation for a Meatless Monday, or top with bacon for a heartier bowl of soup. Paleo and Whole30 approved.
Broccoli Potato Soup is a soup I’ve been making for years, but I just gave it a Paleo, Whole30, and Instant Pot makeover. And you guys are going to love!
I am currently having a lovefest with soup, but in particular, this broccoli potato soup. I’ve been satisfied for dinner with a bowl, on numerous lunch occasions, and even as a mid morning snack once last week. It’s December you guys, and my month has been CRAZY!!!
With trying to finish up my second book (The Big Book of Instant Pot Recipes), and promote my new book, One Pot Gluten-Free Cooking, it’s been quite busy around here. This mama has no time for fussy meals, and I need meals that I can quickly heat up during the day in a pinch.
A lightened up version of Broccoli Potato Soup!
As a nutritionist, I know the importance of still having nutritious meals even when life gets so busy. In fact, these nourishing bowls of soup are the things that make me happy and give me energy.
While most Broccoli Potato Soups generally contain more ingredients, the base of this soup is made entirely with potatoes and broccoli. No need for creamy ingredients! The potatoes provide a perfect thickener and robust taste. The sautéed onion and garlic in the beginning of the cooking process is the most hands-on step throughout the entire recipe. Talk about super easy!
How to make Broccoli Potato Soup:
This recipe couldn’t be easier!
- Prepare the broccoli and potatoes. Chop into florets, and peel and cut the potatoes.
- Select the saute function on the Instant Pot. Saute the onion and garlic in some oil for a few minutes, then select cancel. Pour in the broth and scrape the bottom of the Instant Pot to prevent the burn signal.
- Now add in the broccoli and potatoes. Stir in the mustard and salt. Secure the lid and cook on high pressure for 8 minutes. Use a quick release.
- If adding bacon, make the bacon while the soup is in the IP.
- Remove the lid and blend the soup until smooth.
Serving and Storing:
Bacon is a welcomed topping for my family, but I’ve also been enjoying this delicious soup without. Either one tastes fantastic! And if your belly can handle a little cheese, some sharp cheddar makes another delicious topper.
Serve along with a green salad for a nutritious and filling dinner!
Store in the fridge for up to 1 week. You can also freeze for up to 3 months.
Other Instant Pot Vegetable Soups:
Here are a few other Instant Pot Vegetable Soups you will love!
Instant Pot Broccoli Potato Soup
Instant Pot Broccoli Potato Soup is creamy and delicious, and so easy to make! Recipe is Paleo, Whole30, and loved by all.
- 1 small yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp avocado oil or olive oil
- 4 lbs Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 large head of broccoli, cut into florets
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 tsp sea salt + more to taste
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 6 slices cooked bacon, chopped optional
- black pepper to taste
Select the saute function on the Instant Pot. Once hot, coat the bottom of the pot with oil. Cook the onion and garlic for 3-4 minutes, or until fragrant. Select cancel.
Toss in the potatoes and broccoli in the pot. Pour broth on top. Stir in salt and dijon mustard. Secure the lid, and select manual or pressure. Cook on high pressure for 8 minutes. Use a quick release.
Remove the lid. Using an immersion blender or blender, blend the soup until smooth.
Serve with optional bacon, black pepper, and salt to taste.