Deliciously moist and fudge-y mocha brownies with a sweetened peppermint cream and topped with a chocolate ganache. Sprinkle some crushed candy canes on top for a festive and delicious treat!
I need help guys. Someone get these brownies out of my house. Like yesterday. I. Can’t. Stop. Eating. I make these every December at the beginning of the month, wondering why I don’t make them throughout the year. Well since I can’t stop thinking about them every flippin minute of the day, I am reminded of why they only need to be in my house during Christmas!
Oh my gawsh. The best Christmas cookie, bar, brownie, whatever…..You all need these in your life.
And aren’t they pretty? I mean, what’s not to love? This is like your favorite drink at starbucks, only sooooo much more delicious. I have a feeling this would be the biggest hit EVER at your cookie exchange coming up. How do I know? I often make these for that purpose, and everyone is OBSESSED. So it’s time to share with you all the recipe, because I have like a bunch of friends on standby waiting for it.
WARNING!!!! If you are trying to avoid these type of scrumptious treats this holiday season, BEWARE. You will want the whole pan. I happened to make these while the husband is away, and he is going to be pretty irked when he returns with not even a crumb left. AHHH!!! I should have known better.
Enjoy with your cup of coffee, or just for fun, and savor each bite!
Mocha Peppermint 3-Layer Brownies
- For the brownie layer:
- 4 oz high quality semi-sweet chocolate
- 6 tbsp salted butter
- 1 tbsp instant coffee granules
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- For the peppermint layer:
- 3 tbsp salted butter softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- 1 tbsp milk
- For the ganache:
- 2 oz bittersweet or semi sweet chocolate
- 1 tbsp salted butter
- 1 tbsp instant coffee granules
- 1 tbsp hot water
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 8x8 square casserole dish, and line with parchment paper by making a sling with paper hanging over 2 sides. Lightly spray the paper with non-stick spray.
- Make the brownie layer: In a small saucepan, melt chocolate and butter. Whisk until smooth, add in instant coffee granules and sugar. Set aside to cool.
- Once cooled, stir in vanilla and eggs. Whisk until smooth, then add in flour and salt. Pour into prepared dish.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool another 10 minutes. Remove brownie layer from the pan and completely cool.
- Make the peppermint layer: with an electric mixer, whip butter, powdered sugar, milk, and peppermint extract until light and fluffy. Evenly spread cream over the brownie layer and place inside the refrigerator. Cool for an hour, or until cream is firm and cold.
- Make the chocolate ganache: microwave chocolate and butter in 30 second intervals. Continue to stir until completely melted. Dissolve coffee granules into 1 tbsp hot water, and add to chocolate. While warm, spread the chocolate evenly over the peppermint layer. Sprinkle with crushed candy canes (if using). Refrigerate until chocolate layer is firm (approximately 1 hour), and cut into small squares.
- Brownies should be kept in the fridge and are best served cold.