Slow Cooker BBQ Pulled Pork comes together with the simple use of a crockpot and delicious homemade tangy sauce.
I know there are several versions of BBQ pulled pork recipes. If you favor a North Carolina recipe, it’s more of a tangy vinegar sauce vs. a smoky BBQ sauce from other parts of the South. I’m not from any of these places, nor did I grow up eating pulled pork. However, as an adult living in VA, it quickly became one of my favorite dishes. I’ve had it so many times, but always felt as if there was something missing in each variation. So my sauce is an original concoction of me throwing ingredients into a saucepan until it came out just right. And it does. Every time. It is tangy and vinegar-y, but still smoky and thick like BBQ Sauce. And I may be a bit biased, but this is THE BEST pulled pork I’ve ever had. Try it and let me know what you think!
You’ll start by placing your pork into a slow cooker. I find this part is easy. I add in onion, garlic, a little lemon, and red wine vinegar. Do it in the morning, and you really only need to spend about 10-15 minutes shredding the pork and preparing the sauce for dinner time. You can cook it on high for 5 – 6 hours or low for 8 hours (maybe 9). Your pork should be no longer pink, tender, and easy to pull apart with a fork:
Once you have pulled the pork, place it back in the slow cooker. You can discard your onion and garlic at this point, but I like to keep mine in the mix. Now it’s time to make the sauce. My sauce is a blend of various ingredients you probably already have in your pantry. Put the ingredients into a medium sized saucepan, heat up to med-high heat, and then pour it on top of the pork:
You might not need all of the sauce, but pour most of it over the pork and test it to your liking. Mix it around, and serve immediately! It tastes best as a slider, but on a salad is also delicious. I use my leftovers for this salads all the time!
Slow Cooker BBQ Pulled Pork
- 3 lbs bone-in pork loin roast or boneless pork shoulder
- 1 medium onion sliced into rings
- 4 garlic cloves sliced thinly
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- For the Sauce:
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp buffalo wing sauce
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp liquid smoke
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Place pork inside slow cooker. Top with onion and garlic, fresh lemon, and red wine vinegar.
- Cook on high for 5-6 hours or low for about hours.
- Once pork is tender and no longer pink, remove from the slow cooker and shred with a fork. Once finished, place pork back inside the slow cooker. If using the bone-in, discard the bone before placing the meat back into the slow cooker.
- Prepare the sauce. Begin by adding ketchup to a medium sized saucepan, add the remaining ingredients and heat until bubbly.
- Remove from heat and pour on top of pork inside the slow cooker. Gently toss the pork and sauce around until well mixed.
- Serve on sliders or with greens.
*This recipe can be easily doubled to serve a crowd. You may not need all of the sauce, adjust to your taste. This recipe also freezes well.