Slow Cooker Chicken Tamale Soup has all the flavor of a delicious corn tamale in a hot bowl of goodness! Set it and forget it in your slow cooker for this super easy weeknight dinner.
I have a thing about making all of my favorite Mexican food dishes into a bowl of soup: Chicken Enchilada Soup, Slow Cooker Taco Soup, Slow Cooker Chipotle Black Bean Soup and now it’s time for Chicken Tamale Soup. Heavy Mexican food does not agree with my belly, so I love to lighten things up with a bowl of soup and all the flavor!! No spices necessary, just add your favorite enchilada sauce. My personal favorite homemade version is this one from Gimme Some Oven.
With only a handful of ingredients, you can’t go wrong in simplicity with this soup. The corn texture of polenta really adds a tasty and unique texture to the soup. I use the Organic pre-cooked tube of polenta from Trader Joe’s, but any 16oz tube of polenta will work. Just an important note for this recipe, it’s best to add the polenta during the last hour of cooking so that it doesn’t become mushy.
Top with all of your favorite goodies! I love cilantro, avocado, green onion, and cheddar cheese. My kids crushed tortilla chips on top for an added crunch. You’ll love that this recipe makes plenty for leftovers and tastes even better the next day.
Slow Cooker Chicken Tamale Soup
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 medium sized yellow onion diced
- 2 cups of your favorite enchilada sauce*
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 8 oz can diced green chilis
- 16 oz tube pre-cooked polenta
- Begin by placing chicken broth, chicken, onion, enchilada sauce, corn and green chilis into your crockpot. Set to low.
- After 3 hours, cut up pre-cooked polenta into small chunks and add to the slow cooker. Cook for 1 more hour.
- Serve immediately and top with any desired toppings: cilantro, sour cream, avocado, tortilla chips, etc.
For a Gluten-Free version, the best enchilada sauce to use is a salsa verde or tomatillo sauce. Most red enchilada sauce contains flour and wheat products.