Slow Cooker Chicken Tamale Soup has all the flavor of a delicious corn tamale in a hot bowl of goodness! Only 5 minutes of prep time is all you need to set it and forget it in your slow cooker for this super easy weeknight dinner. You can also make in the Instant Pot for ultimate ease!
Classic Mexican food in soup form!
I have a thing about making all of my favorite Mexican food dishes into a bowl of soup: Chicken Tortilla-less Soup, Chicken Enchilada Soup, Slow Cooker Taco Soup, Slow Cooker Chipotle Black Bean Soup and now it’s time for Chicken Tamale Soup!
As a nutritionist who has always loved Mexican food, I am constantly coming with new ways to lighten up my favorites. Heavy Mexican food does not agree with my belly, so creating a soup of my favorite Mexican dishes is the next best thing!
This simple slow cooker Chicken Tamale Soup comes together lightening fast in the Slow Cooker. A truly set it and forget it meal!
How to make Chicken Tamale Soup in the Slow Cooker:
With only a handful of ingredients, you can’t go wrong in simplicity with this soup. It comes together so quickly with just a few steps:
- Place the chicken broth, chicken, enchilada sauce, onion, frozen corn, and green chilis into the slow cooker. Set the slow cooker to low for 4 hours.
- At the 3 hour mark, cup up pre-cooked polenta and toss into the slow cooker. Cook for another 1-2 hours, or until chicken is tender and can be easily shredded. That’s it!
- Serve with cilantro, cheese, and all of your favorite toppings.
- The corn texture of polenta really adds a tasty and unique texture to the soup. I use the Organic pre-cooked tube of polenta from Trader Joe’s, but any 16oz tube of polenta will work.
- It’s best to add the polenta during the last hour of cooking so that it doesn’t become mushy.
- For a gluten-free variation, be sure to check labels on the enchilada sauce. Most of them have flour and thickeners. You can also use a salsa verde so it’s more of a “green” tamale soup!
- Swap out the protein: You can use a pork tenderloin in place of the chicken! It will shred nicely just like chicken breast. It will mostly likely require at least 6 hours in the Slow Cooker.
Can I make this in the Instant Pot?
Yes!! Add the chicken broth, chicken, enchilada sauce, frozen corn, and green chilis into the Instant Pot. Secure the lid and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes. Use a quick release and remove the lid.
Add the cut up polenta to the top and cook on the saute function for about 10 minutes. Pour into bowls and serve.
Serving and Storing:
Top with all of your favorite goodies! I love cilantro, avocado, green onion, and cheddar cheese. My kids crushed tortilla chips on top for an added crunch. You’ll love that this recipe makes plenty for leftovers and tastes even better the next day.
Looking for a complete meal? Try it with my Mexican Slaw!
Slow Cooker Chicken Tamale Soup
Set it and forget it with this super easy Chicken Tamale Soup! You can make this soup in the Instant Pot or Slow Cooker and with ony 5 minutes of prep time.
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 medium sized yellow onion diced
- 2 cups enchilada sauce
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 8 oz can diced green chilis
- 16 oz tube pre-cooked polenta
Begin by placing chicken broth, chicken, onion, enchilada sauce, corn and green chilis into your crockpot. Set to low.
After 3 hours, cut up pre-cooked polenta into small chunks and add to the slow cooker. Cook for 1 more hour.
Serve immediately and top with any desired toppings: cilantro, sour cream, avocado, tortilla chips, etc.
For a Gluten-Free version, the best enchilada sauce to use is a salsa verde or tomatillo sauce. Most red enchilada sauce contains flour and wheat products.