Make Taco Tuesday your favorite dinner of the week with this super easy and delicious ground beef taco recipe! Can be made in the Slow Cooker or Instant Pot!
*Recipe has been updated with Instant Pot directions.
If I have somehow given anyone the impression that dinner time around my house is always quiet with happy compliant kids eating every morsel on there plate, I guess I should paint a picture of what reality is around the table. Often times my kids like to negotiate. Something like, “If I eat just one more carrot can I be done? Do I really need to try those tomatoes? How about if I eat everything I get some chocolate?” I am sure it sounds familiar to you.
There is an exception to this banter. It’s called taco night. We often joke that it’s the quietest dinner night in our house. The kids are so happy with their food, they don’t make a peep. The plates are always clean, often there are seconds, sometimes thirds. It’s perfect really. I should just consider eating them every night.
I have a few different variations on tacos, but I love the simplicity and “easy button” of the slow cooker. My homeade taco seasoning is simple and you probably have everything in your pantry. I do like to add some chipotle powder (surprise surprise), but this is definitely optional. You can easily double or triple this recipe for taco seasoning and keep it in a jar to use for future taco nights.
This recipe is so dang easy that you may just be adding taco night as a regular dinner around your house too. I mix up the spices. I add ground beef, tomato paste, and onion to the slow cooker. I then add the spices and top with a little chicken broth. Done. Easy button. Dinner is ready in about 4-6 hours. Don’t forget all of the fix ins. Tacos are best served with tomatoes, lettuce, cilantro, onion, sour cream, avocado, and I do love me some hot sauce and salsa.
- 2 lb Organic Grassfed ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped white onion
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 5 tbsp tomato paste
- For the Seasoning:
- 1 tbsp Chili Powder
- 3 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp chipotle powder (optional)
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper (optional)
- [b]For the Slow Cooker:[/b]
- Mix the ingredients for the taco seasoning in a small bowl.
- Add ground beef to your slow cooker.
- Top with onions and tomato paste.
- Mix in the Spices.
- Finally add in chicken broth and vinegar.
- Stir the mixture around to coat most of the meat.
- Cook for 4-6 hours on low heat.
- Serve with your favorite tortillas, and any other taco toppings.
- [b]For your Instant Pot:[/b]
- Begin by selecting the saute function on your Instant Pot. Once pot is hot, add in a few tbsp of your favorite cooking oil (I use avocado), then toss in onion. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add ground beef to the onions and saute for 2-3 minutes more. Meat will be browned but doesn’t have to cook all the way. Select cancel.
- Mix together your spices in a small bowl, and toss in the slow cooker.
- Add broth, vinegar, and tomato paste. Secure the lid.
- Select the manual function and cook for 7 minutes. Use a quick release.
- Once steam has been released, open the lid. Stir and serve over taco shells or in a salad.